The new dressage 20% weight rule, and other competitions

newforest

Mar 15, 2008

British Dressage (BD) has introduced guidelines on maximum rider weight for 2023 as part of its code of conduct for equine welfare. It is recommended that, from January, the maximum load carried by any equid should not exceed 20% of its total body weight “based on a horse with a 'good' condition score”.9 Dec 2022

So are they going to introduce a weigh in for horse and rider, similar to what racing already does?

How many people are going to be turned away because they are considered too heavy for their current mount?

Thought it would be an interesting topic to talk about. 🙂

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I can see it being full of problems, and I also think a flat 20% rule doesn't take into account a lot of factors.

Who gets to decide what is a horse with a good condition score? I think there's a risk that larger riders will now try to keep their horses on the heavy side and in many people's eyes a fat horse is in good condition so they may well get away with it. I'd say that's more detrimental to the horse than a rider a few kgs outside the weight limit.

I can see problems with trying to get horses on a weighbridge in a show environment. Also will there be a requirement for all BD venues to have a recently calibrated weighbridge on site?

It does nothing to alter the situation at unaffiliated shows, yet I suspect that's where the bigger problem is.

Horse conformation isn't being taken into account. I will happily ride Luka, but I wouldn't be happy riding a 16.2 tb that was the same weight. Conformation is a huge factor, to not allow for it is a big oversight in my opinion.

It's an interesting change and it's good to see they're trying to look at horse welfare, but I think it's a token gesture and there are more important things to look at first.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I think they will need to appoint a horse vet to assess the condition score. Perhaps it will be a certificate like the LHC, except this is issued every six months?
So anything that's a condition score of four or five, doesn't get one, so can't compete?

I have no idea how they will assess the 20% rule of a good condition horse though, because all horses are various breeds and sizes and it's harder.

But with some horses the condition score can change dramatically in a few weeks, I think to be realistic it would have to be done at every event. That would take a lot of time and be a cost that would probably be passed on to competitors. As for assessing the weight, well the only reasonable approach would be a weighbridge and scales.

The 20% is a solid value based in science, I have no issue with it, it’s what I worked to when packing gear for long rides as the long riders guild have used it for decades.

There is some common sense that needs applying with it, Niko is 15.2h and 500kg or thereabouts so can carry 16st by that rule, but at his age I wouldn’t want him doing that routinely, I’ve been very cautious with my 13st this year with him, but I expect in a year or two he’ll be up to more. Jess at 15.1h and 600kg could take 19st I can honestly say I don’t think she’d flinch at carrying that kind of weight all day long.

Practicality, I don’t think they have any intention of enforcing it, I read a report where they said it was more for guidance and to make people aware of suitable pairing of horses and riders and that it wouldn’t be enforced in most instances.

Reactions: carthorse
I suppose at least the rule is there if it does need to be enforced for some reason i.e. a very obvious breach of the 20% or a rider that would be an acceptable weight but a horse with a very poor condition score that perhaps shouldn't be competing.

No doubt fit healthy horses can carry capable riders over the 20%, more so if they are doing something like hacking, but if they are schooling for and competing in dressage they could well be doing some long term damage to the horse.

The 20% is a solid value based in science, I have no issue with it, it’s what I worked to when packing gear for long rides as the long riders guild have used it for decades.

There is some common sense that needs applying with it, Niko is 15.2h and 500kg or thereabouts so can carry 16st by that rule, but at his age I wouldn’t want him doing that routinely, I’ve been very cautious with my 13st this year with him, but I expect in a year or two he’ll be up to more. Jess at 15.1h and 600kg could take 19st I can honestly say I don’t think she’d flinch at carrying that kind of weight all day long.

Practicality, I don’t think they have any intention of enforcing it, I read a report where they said it was more for guidance and to make people aware of suitable pairing of horses and riders and that it wouldn’t be enforced in most instances.
So it's mainly aimed at adults riding ponies, and children on outgrown ponies?

My friend who competes said she's noticed rules in place that say no adult is to school ponies before the child rides. That makes sense. The lead rein and first ridden should be safe to put your child on.
I used to see no lunging.
However when you think about it further how are the lead rein and first ridden schooled in the first place at home, the little rider isn't necessarily going to understand soft feel, impulsion.

The rule has made me scared to take out my share pony which is a real shame. We are well within the 20% rule, but he is only 13.3hh. I feel that I will be judged for being too big for him. He is a very strong little cob with loads of bone, but horsey people are so judgemental and I don’t want to put myself in a position to be ripped apart by anyone. He carries me well and I know I’m not too heavy, but I still fear other people will judge me.

The rule has made me scared to take out my share pony which is a real shame. We are well within the 20% rule, but he is only 13.3hh. I feel that I will be judged for being too big for him. He is a very strong little cob with loads of bone, but horsey people are so judgemental and I don’t want to put myself in a position to be ripped apart by anyone. He carries me well and I know I’m not too heavy, but I still fear other people will judge me.
That's a shame that you feel that way, I do think people are like that. My friend competes her 13.2hh up to elementary and is often told she's too big even though she is well inside the 20%.

If anyone dare say anything tell them that they don't know what they're talking about, if they did they'd see that his conformation is designed to carry weight and that he isn't struggling with you. Also have more confidence in yourself, stuff what others may or may not think!

That's a shame that you feel that way, I do think people are like that. My friend competes her 13.2hh up to elementary and is often told she's too big even though she is well inside the 20%.

People should realise that maybe being tall on a pony doesn't mean too heavy, though a rider does have to be a bit better balanced. I bet no-one told Mark Todd he was too big for Charisma!

If anyone dare say anything tell them that they don't know what they're talking about, if they did they'd see that his conformation is designed to carry weight and that he isn't struggling with you. Also have more confidence in yourself, stuff what others may or may not think!

People should realise that maybe being tall on a pony doesn't mean too heavy, though a rider does have to be a bit better balanced. I bet no-one told Mark Todd he was too big for Charisma!
I know I shouldn’t care but I do. I know exactly what some people would say and/or think, and I don’t want to make myself a target. I’m not even that small on him as I am only 5 ft 2, but after spending many hours at shows with Ben and listening to conversations, I know how vile and horrible the average horse owner can be. It would ruin the experience for me.

Anyway, fingers crossed I may be delving into horse ownership early next year. A 15.2hh cob, 6 years old has come to a friend on sales livery. I may be interested…:.

Reactions: Jessey
I wouldn’t let this put you off taking him out, see it as empowering in that if anyone does ask you can say you are compliant with the BD guidelines.

but after spending many hours at shows with Ben and listening to conversations.
Then don't stand around listening.
Focus and get on with your horse.

I know what can be said at shows because someone actually paid the £10 to lodge a complaint about my house.
It didn't put me off, as I am not into showing in the first place.

I guess the issue in the first place is who decides what chart is actually going to be used as a reference point.
You will first need to measure the animal then decide if lw, mw, or hw.

From sight my friend thought mine was 14.2hh if she had wither she would be. One chart I found said her top end weight could be 480kg.
Well that's complete tosh!! When she was seriously ill and had a condition score of 1 on box rest with no muscle she weighed 490kg!!!
I hold my hand up and admit she's a condition score of 4 right now.
But I don't want her 490kg ever again.

I guess there is a need for a solution if they have felt the need to implement this rule. I'd be interested to know how often they get incidences of suspected over weight riders. Not competing let alone BD I don't know if it's common to see riders too big for the horse or the horse too poor condition for the rider weight?

Perhaps if you were body condition scoring and guesstimating weights all day at competitions its something you would get good at. From my limited experience the nurses and vets at horse hospitals get quite a good eye for it as they are constantly weighing horses so you must get used to what look weighs what.

I also think vets commonly draw up meds and things that are based on weight when out on the road, they must get good at it over time. So a vet could asses horses and generally deem the weight limit the rider should be

I guess there is a need for a solution if they have felt the need to implement this rule. I'd be interested to know how often they get incidences of suspected over weight riders. Not competing let alone BD I don't know if it's common to see riders too big for the horse or the horse too poor condition for the rider weight?

Perhaps if you were body condition scoring and guesstimating weights all day at competitions its something you would get good at. From my limited experience the nurses and vets at horse hospitals get quite a good eye for it as they are constantly weighing horses so you must get used to what look weighs what.

I also think vets commonly draw up meds and things that are based on weight when out on the road, they must get good at it over time. So a vet could asses horses and generally deem the weight limit the rider should be
I have updated the thread to discuss other competitions.
The Shetland grand national already has rules in place, 8 to 14 or until the rider reaches 5 foot.
There are already classes for children up to age or ponies up to height, so perhaps if they added in riders up to a height, it would be an easier starting point?
Muscle weighs more than fat so a fit toned rider could technically weigh more but be balanced to distribute the weight. However the weight rule would tell them to find another mount?

Last edited:
I have updated the thread to discuss other competitions.
The Shetland grand national already has rules in place, 8 to 14 or until the rider reaches 5 foot.
There are already classes for children up to age or ponies up to height, so perhaps if they added in riders up to a height, it would be an easier starting point?
Muscle weighs more than fat so a fit toned rider could technically weigh more but be balanced to distribute the weight. However the weight rule would tell them to find another mount?
The 20% was backed up by a study done by vet Sue Dyson who found (and I’m talking completely from memory here so take it with a pinch of salt) that at 20% of bw regardless of build of horse or rider, or tack fit, that the horses gait was changed by carrying more than 20% of body weight, and the gait change would have long term effects on soundness at best, there were some it just made plain lame.

newrider.com