The local councils next joke

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
They have decided to re surface the road through the village. Great! But they have decided the road will need to be closed for the full half mile through the village. From one end to the other. There will be no access to the entire village. Which means there will be no access to the yard. So no way to get to our horses. For 2 WEEKS! There is only one way to the yard and no way to get round. When asked about access they have suggested moving the horses for the 2 weeks.

Never mind all the elderly folk in the village who would be stranded for 2 weeks. The tiny primary school and the large boarding school. We have also pointed out farrier and vet visits.

Id be complaining. Is it only a single track road or is it two lanes. If its two lanes then they should provide some where that you could pull up nearish and go see the horses temporary. If its only a single track then thats obviously a bit tricky. What happens if emergency services are required for the elderly.

We have been complaining. One livery phoned the council directly which is when the “can you move them somewhere else for 2 weeks” suggestion came from as no there would be no access. I have also messaged. Initially they said there were no roadworks on that section on their system. So I screenshotted their post. Message has since been ignored. The community council have also complained but are also getting no reply.

They shut the road last year for a new house to get plumbing in. Luckily at that point we could go through the school grounds as it was holiday time. This time we can’t even get that far. At that time they would not allow you to park and walk through as the parked cars would cause an obstruction! It is a 2 lane road but relatively narrow. If I have to park and walk I will but this is not an option for many people in the village. It would end up with rather a lot of cars parked as people trying tho get to work etc. Also not an option for farrier or vet visits.

They have said there will be access for emergency vehicles. They cannot answer if a vet in an emergency would be allowed.

May have to but the.l notice has specifically said no parking either side. So not sure what they expect us to do. I have farrier booked in that time it is to be closed too. It makes it a mile walk either way. I can do that but the elderly people in the village can’t.

They cannot prevent access to an entire village for that long, they may close it to through traffic and prevent parking but they won’t do a complete closure for more than 8 hours or they will have to pay to move people out of their houses.

Reactions: carthorse
Phew. They have realised their original plan can’t happen and they didn’t think it through. So now road will be closed 9.30am to 3.30pm each day. They will look in to some way of parking and walking out with that time. They will also allow vets and farrier through at all times. My slight worry is last week on another road closed, they decided they wouldn’t open again overnight after all giving 2 hours notice of this. But closed 9.30 to 3.30 is doable!

Reactions: Jessey
It isn’t even possible to get a diversion. The road through the village is closed from one end to the other. It is only a half mile long through village. So even if you did the 10mile diversion to come from the other side you still can’t get in. The farm road is in the middle of the village and no way to get to that road. It literally goes up to farm and that is it. So can’t access the farm from any other way. They also didn’t seem to realise there are 2 schools who also can’t get their children in to school. One is a boarding school but also has day pupils. There is no where to park either side so you could walk. They have already said no parking but now might look in to parking. However at busy getting to school times that wouldn’t work anyway.

They are changing their plans depending on who you speak to. One says yes farrier (and vet) can get through. One says strictly only emergency vehicles. Another said farrier might get through but you won’t and only if you let them know exactly when they will need through. They say the road is too narrow for traffic lights despite there being traffic lights there just now for some different work. (Why they couldn’t just do it all in one go i don’t know). We also can’t quite work out why a short stretch of road needs closed for 2 weeks.

newrider.com