the little things make me happy!!

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
In my very little over occupied house we get terrible condensation in the winter. In our bedroom (occupied by my massive hubby, me and the baby bubs) the huge amount of condensation causes disgusting mould to form on the walls. I open windows as often as poss but with temps of minus10 its not easy to get a balance (solid fuel heating too)

So finding a mass of horrible mould behind my tall boy (where i've been finding my clothes to be damp for past week or so) i decided to do something about it. After stripping off mouldy wall paper, bleaching wall and shifting baby's bed thru to kids bedroom we opened up the old fire in there.

Since yesterday lunch time we've had a blazing fire going, no sign of any condensation today. This morning the windows were bone dry, usually they are dripping wet with a small puddle underneath. I'm over the moon!:D

I love it when something as little as lighting a fire can bring such contentment! Ah the easily pleased!:D

There is thick snow all around and tonight i will lie cosy in my bed beside a lovely warm fire, bliss!!

I'll live with the scary shadows if it keeps he scary mould and spores at bay!:D:D

The people who lived here before us never used the bedroom fires it was always just blocked up. The fire is exactly what the room needed!! And it seems to be burning a treat! Great draw and smoke coming out the correct chimney (and not into the loft which is always a bonus!!;)) I'm so pleased!

Whenever i think of the reality of open fires, it always looks like such blooming hard work so Im never seriously tempted but I do have to say, snuggled up in bed, with a fire in the grate, shadows dancing on the wall and snow outside does sound quite blissful :) Enjoy it while it lasts

BTW Blasting the radiator to clear the mould just doesnt have the same appeal!

Glad that the damp problem is solved. I'm very jealous of your bedroom with a roaring fire, my electric blanket broke recently and it's freezing in my room.

newrider.com