The link between lunging and driving?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
So, I have my Sallie Walrond book in one hand... and Wally and France's "how to" blog in the other.

I decided I would take things back to basics and do each stage slowly and thoroughly with Rascal.

Well that was until we hit the "Lunging nicely" part. We can't do it. He eternally runs in at the person on the line, and does so in a blind panic. Ive had lessons with RI who has the same problems - we led him round with someone at his shoulder, which he was fine with but as soon as that person steps back a little - his brain fries and he panics. He doesn't get why he is being sent away and finds it all "wild eyed stressful".

Is there a big importance in insisting he lunges well? How does it impact on the ability to drive? He long reins nicely - although a little nappy to start with, but once on the way he settles and is fine. He doest do the same blind panic reaction to long reining as lunging.

I really want to get this right, but this step seems impossible unless I have a twin. He has got over this step in ridden work mostly as well - he naps towards mea little but will carry on if asked. Just can't sort it out in the lunging.

We hardly lunge at all, WE concentrate on the long reining.

Are you lunging BHS style facing him head on with very dominant body language.

Some horses prefer you to face the same way they are going. With the lunge facing backwards too. Hold the whip like you would a riding whip, and when you need to use it raise your elbow, He'll soon learn that a raised elbow is a cue to go forwards. I have found that quite a few horses do not like to be lunged with you facing them down the whole time

I think the link is for voice commands? Tbh thats what I use it for with June and do a lite more lunging with her than with jazz as she likes to "forget!"

With jazz I do minimal lunging and more long reining ... And get fit OH to do the trot work!! If your fit enough to run behind go for it!!

Don;t need to do a lot of running, long rein in figures of 8 and circles.

Neither way works - He runs in at you and forgets his manners in his panic and mows you down. With Silver a wiggle on the lunge line (not hard) or raising the whip a little stops her coming in, but he is so much lower that neither of these work (and faster, he's at your feet before you've realised).

What does he do when you walk on the lunge does he still step in. I would not try trotting and just work the lunge in walk. Every time the rein goes slack take a step towards and make sure you aim the whip at the shoulder and as you step towards make sure the whip goes towards the shoulder. Tell him to walk out. It might take several sessions. Then once you think hes got the hang of staying out in walk, try a trot. I wouldn't be to hasty to up the speed until hes got it at a walk.

There is no control over speed.

I could let all of the lunge out, and he would still "walk to heel". Its the only place he has ever wanted to be.

I think it stems from insecurity, and his desperation to please - I think he views lunging as being sent away/punished? But no idea how to build that security - he doesn't view the whip as a deterrent and bends it/snaps it in his quest to be next to me. He respects it for going forwards, but not for coming inwards

'How to blog'? Could you point me at it please? My Sally W book should be here by tomorrow.

I want to train Reiver to drive and the long reining is going quite well (4yrs Highland). I was going to send him to be trained but it has proved very difficult to find anyone round here, and also he is quiet and good to handle so I thought I might carry on the little steps. I also have a driving friend who can give us a bit of help. Am I being realistic? I used to drive another Highland, fully trained when I got her, and she taught me a lot but I'm no expert.
I would still love some lessons but again we seem to be in a driving desert here!

I got June going last year from start to finish on my own with very little driving experience! It is possible!!

The how to blog is on the third ale blog pages that France's links too - there is a section on the left about breaking to harness.

I am doing all this on my own with rascal with the help of books/Internet/RI And then a driving instructor :) I am wanting him to get going with RI before I find a driving instructor as he learns little and often so I want things much more fluid on reins etc before having someone come out. I'm also worried that I will struggle to find a driving instructor who is similar approach to me. He is a slow learner so needs to take time with it all. I'm in no rush so i won't be rushing him!

All I would say from reading this is what ever direction you are asking him to go, you should be using energy in that direction. From behind long reining you have the reins as a lead, when lunging, you need to imagine the direction and how you want him to move forwards, and push that forwards, it isn't a case of sending him away but pushing him in a direction using your energy. Try starting from an angle diagonally to him instead of side on and drive him forwards, at the same time talk to him in an encouraging way, not threatening, but think beyond where he is- more where you want him to go so he has confidence in what you are asking without it being intimidating.

Could you long rein and move gradually to his side? Like have you seen Parelli working at level 4 in online stuff? He works with long lines but can progress to circling around him with the long lines still on?

This is why I wouldn't worry about lunging, just work on circles and figures of 8 in long reins.

We shall leave lunging then :D

I currently can work utpto about 2ft inside of him on long lines, but no further - a combination of my inadequate long reining skills, and his tendency to turn around - when directly behind he doest turn around, but does if I am inside him. Will try and build it up that way :D

I dont have any need to lunge him - they both freeschool and he will work next to me beautifully. So calories will be spent those ways - just wondered if there was some part of lunging that made a succesful dirinvg horse :D

newrider.com