The Law and learning to tow

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Please can I just check I have read this right?

If you passed your test after 97 you need to take the towing test, in order to get some practice in you used to be able to tow with someone in the passenger seat that passed their driving test before 97.

I believe this has now changed to say just because they passed their driving test before 97 isn't good enough, they need to also have passed the towing test and have held the licence for a certain number of years?

Is this correct? Safedrive Steve, can you advise?

sorry to add to this but i have another question about towing so i thought i'd add it here ... how does one find an instructor etc. for towing locally, and is it possible to leanr to tow in an automatic car? (YO tows with an automatic range rover so i know its possible)

julia
x

Hi Laura, I asked my examiner that when I took my towing test a few months ago and he said it is not the case for trailers, only 7.5T-upward lorries. Which is good since my mum's OH taught me and although he's been towing for 30-odd years, he hasn't taken the test. Passed first time though so his life skills and top tips worked :wink:

And notpoodle, you certainly can - just need to find an instructor with an automatic :) Best bet is to phone your local HGV Test Centre and ask which schools come to them for trailer tests.

That link is what prompted me to check with the examiner. He said that the information on the link is wrong and that pre-97 licence holders can still accompany learners towers. If you're concerned though it's best to phone the DVLA or your HGV test centre direct and ask them.

Law on towing training

Sorry for the delay folks - been away for a while.

The recent changes to who can supervise a learner driver applied only to cat C & D (lorries and buses).

It is still legal for anyone who is over the age of 21, who has held that category of licence for more than 3 years to act as accompanying / supervising driver for trailers.

So :-

Anyone who has passed the trailer test 3 or more years ago can be accompanying / supervising.

Anyone with a pre 1997 licence can still accompany car & trailer (but not lorry above 3,500kg)

Please note **Silly law alert** in the second of these two cases the supervising driver does not have to have had any towing experience at all - merely to be there. I have had more than one learner being 'supervised' by a parent who has never towed a thing. * End of sill law alert **

Thats great, thankyou very much for clarifying!

Im trying to get in touch with my local training centre but so far they havent rang me back!! :stomp:

I've been having a go reversing on the yard and I think Im doing pretty good! :smug:

Trainer not getting back to you

Just a thought but as you are in Cheshire and I'm in neighbouring Derbyshire . . .

You could either drive over to me (Derby) and train here using my car & trailer or if we can use your vehicle and trailer I can travel to you.

One way or the other journey time needs to be taken into account so it depends where in Cheshire you are. By way of example from me to Ellesmere Port is 1 1/2 hours each way.

If I travel to you I will need to allow for travelling time in my price, if you travel to me then no problem.

If interested just give me a call or message me.

Can I practice

No thickness on your part I promise. This area catches loads of people out.

How old you are doesn't matter.

You can drive and practice so long as :-

You display L plates front & rear
The person supervising you is sat in the front seat
That peson is over 21
That person holds a pre 1997 licence OR
That person has held the trailer licence by test for at least 3 years

As the person supervising is legally the one in control of the vehicle :-

That person must not be unfit through drink or drugs (inc prescribed meds)
That person must be wearing glasses / contacts if they need them to drive
That person must NOT be using a hand held mobile device (phone etc)

As a trailer learner you ARE allowed to use motorways.

So, get the L plates on by all means and get used to how it all handles but please be aware that most trailer test fails are as a result of simple driving errors that have nothing to do with the fact you have a trailer.

My more memorable recent trailer test fails include someone who pulled out in front of someone at a roundabout, someone who stopped on top of a 'keep clear' road marking, somoeone who forgot to cancel an indicator and thus gave a missleading signal and someone who wasn't breaking the speed limit but was drovong too fast for the conditions.

If people fail for the traielr it is normally for screwing up the reverse exercise or de-coupling / re-coupling.

Overall in my experience I have only ever had 2 people fail for the trailer bit of the test.

What I'm getting at here is practicing driving with a trailer whilst still demonstrating bad habits will not do much for your skill but may well boost your confidence.

newrider.com