The Inverse Grooming Law (add your pics...)

capalldubh

May 26, 2006
The law states that the more time you spend getting your horse clean and shiny, the more like a bag lady you will look yourself.

So if you want to leave the field looking respectable, the law states you should not attempt to groom your horse, as every bit of mud and hair tangle you remove from the horse will immediately be applied to you.

P9070330.jpg

Awwww, okay, granted, you do look ever so slightly as though you've been pulled through a hedge but on the bright side, isnt Jackson looking very handsome and shiny:D - and very very snuggly:D:D.

Remember I have an advantage, horse is at home so I can come in and do a minor resuss job before I go out;) (which is just as well looking at the colour of the brute just now - roll on the temperature dropping and I can get a rug on him:D)

Grooming makes him sleepy, so he tends to just plop down for a kip after an intensive clean up session.

However (like today), he then finishes his lovely relaxing sleep with a big roll. So he looks very clean in the pic, but minutes later got up looking as though I'd hosed him down with mud :D

Oddly, I didn't look any cleaner.

hahaa i just let out a propoer chortle (is that the word??) in the office.

My particular favourite is using the rubber currycomb to get mud out of a winter coat - its leaves a nice little moustache

I've given up.
Ah, well - yes - so would I. I mean J wasn't that dirty to start with, but I still ended up looking as though I was the one who'd rolled in the mud.

But if you start with an even dirtier horse, the problem is that you'd be too dirty to get in the car to go home, and would have to wait for a fellow livery to hose you down :D

Thats never today is it - the sky looks an unfamiliar colour!
Yes, it was like that between 10.30am and 10.45 - then the clouds came over again :D If you look closely, you can see the wet patches on my knees ;) Forecast for tonight and tomorrow is for rain and wind to beat all rain and wind we've had this summer so far... :rolleyes:

I've wimped out - Arnie now has a lightweight rug on him. He was a total mud monster and it took ages to get enough mud off just to get the tack on. At least he is now dry so the lightweight is on. Weather is supposed to be horrendous tomorrow so its just as well.

Jackson is a very handsome boy - looks v big too??

AliCat - I just dont know what you'd do with him (but, very cute:p)

Wow, Ali cat - nice mud pack :D I bet his coat was lovely and conditioned after you got all that off!

Poppy1 - yes, he's quite big, so I love it when I'm grooming and he lies down - that way I can actually do along the top of his back properly ;)

Skippy's Mum - er, yes, the rain has just started drumming on the roof this minute, and I am now feeling glad that I also caved and put a LW on. He was very cross indeed (hasn't seen a rug since about February) but I'd just got the rain scald sorted and all the pig oil brushed out, so tough :D I'll take it off again tomorrow morning.

lucky for me alvin's a practical colour
dust and dried mud don't show!!!

That must be the key to effective horse keeping. If you have a grey, live somewhere with grey mud. If you have a bay, live somewhere with brown mud. If your horse is black, live in a bog ;) If your horse is on the white side of grey, just give up!

The law states that the more time you spend getting your horse clean and shiny, the more like a bag lady you will look yourself.

That's similar to the principle that ensures that having spent a very long time washing a shire today (believe me, it takes hours and gallons of water, most of which went over me because my step is too small) after which I skipped out his box and swept the yard, causing the dust to cling to my sodden clothing, then that's the time that a gorgeous vet chose to appear on the yard :eek:

K either you are petite or he is 18+ HH as he looks HUGE - must be the angles!

5'5" and 16.2hh :D But he does have "big" days... Not sure how he does it, just know because my friend whose horses share the field says "OMG, Jackson is very BIG today..." :D So maybe he was having one of those 18hh days.

after which I skipped out his box and swept the yard, causing the dust to cling to my sodden clothing, then that's the time that a gorgeous vet chose to appear on the yard

This is similar to the law which states that as soon as you are up to your elbow in a sheath cleaning situation, a primary school nature walk will appear and all the children will start chorusing "teacher, what is that lady doing?" :D

newrider.com