The health blog :-)

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Ok as discussed the other day here is the start of the health blog for everyone to use for ideas,tips,moral support,highs and lows and everything else :)

Today I am starting my walking again,having missed a week with malaika not been quite right and my knee all is on the mend again so dogs,malaika and myself will be going out twice today.this morning with the dogs will be a brisk 30 min power walk and tonight will be an hour brisk walk with malaika.I am starting with weetabix for breakfast with a green leaf salad with tuna for lunch.tea will be special k as going to the gym for an hour at 8 and can't do that on a full stomach.sugar has been replaced with sweetener and all junk has been removed from the house,if its not there I can't eat it :rolleyes:
So it starts and I feel in a great frame of mind to be doing it :)

Just had a big bowl of porridge for breakie.

My aim is to eat regularly (3 meals and 2 snacks) so I never get hungry or i tend to overeat. I'll consume low GI foods mostly and try to stay fully hydrated (otherwise I mistake thirst for hunger).

My plan is to either run or ride everyday as I have a 5k race booked for 2nd June, the 1 year anniversary of me being a normal BMI.

In other items, I need to ensure I find the time to do my physio exercises for my back twice a day.

I am unsure what plan i am doing - torn between SW/counting cals or trying out the 5:2 diet :frown:

I have my meals planned out anyway..had special K (original) for brekkie with skimmed milk & a mug of tea. Lunch is a chicken salad followed by a WW yoghurt & a bag of stars crisps (99 cals) .
Think dinner is going to filled pasta (ham & cheese) with HM tomato sauce ( passata & herbs) with a sprinkling of parmesan.

For dessert i plan on having strawberries & raspberries in a meringue with another WW yoghurt.

its kind of a SW day :unsure::frown:

Mystyic, glad you have got started:smile:

I think you could eat more than that, it doesn't sound like enough to me, think JC's idea of three meals and two snacks is a good one.

I am having an 'all over the place' day today. My husband has thrown my routine by having an extra day off. I feel totally disorganised:giggle:

I have 'appointments' of one shape or another littered all over this week, and the weather is very changeable so goodness knows, I feel in a right pickle tbh.

I have my meals planned all week more or less. Thanks to OH we're having salad sandwiches for lunch today and for our evening meal home made chicken curry, using fillets which are nice and lean. Weather is pants here but we're going for a walk down the farm and back later on, its about 3 miles.

This week I am winding down, getting rid of all the rubbish in the house and reducing the cr@p that I eat ready to start in earnest on Monday!

I am following this diet plan http://www.terriann123dietplan.co.uk/ which I have done before with great results but just need to ensure I stay on track! It starts with a 10 day boost which I will be planning out this week, it's my Dad's birthday on Friday which will involve lots of foods not allowed on the plan hence why I'm starting next week with no obstacles in the way.

Also for the first time I think I'm going to post my actual weight on here to try and shame myself into keeping going! Please keep my arse kicked if I start to lag! :giggle:

This week I am winding down, getting rid of all the rubbish in the house and reducing the cr@p that I eat ready to start in earnest on Monday!

I am following this diet plan http://www.terriann123dietplan.co.uk/ which I have done before with great results but just need to ensure I stay on track! It starts with a 10 day boost which I will be planning out this week, it's my Dad's birthday on Friday which will involve lots of foods not allowed on the plan hence why I'm starting next week with no obstacles in the way.

Also for the first time I think I'm going to post my actual weight on here to try and shame myself into keeping going! Please keep my arse kicked if I start to lag! :giggle:

I daren't post mine in case people think I am a pony squasher. :cry:

I find it interesting what works for everyone. I started to be successful in managing my weight when I stopped sharing what I'd lost each week and focussed instead on the quality and quantity of what I ate and my ability to eat for nutrition, rather than to satisfy any other emotional need. Then when I'd lost my weight I did best by calorie counting because I didn't have to have to stick to a good diet and was in danger of the goodies taking too much of my diet!

Has anybody tried hynotherapy for weight loss?
My parents do get on at me about my weight and my Mum has suggested having hypnotherapy gastric band treatment. :unsure: She has kindly offered to pay so I may try it, nothing to lose but weight?!

tina,yes it is not alot,i should add i have had an apple mid morning and have celery,carrot and cucumber sticks for midday snack :smile:
i am trying to not eat past 7pm as this in the past alone helped me lose weight but i am alot busier at the moment so im trying to find a routine that will work without not eating enough,i guess this week will be a tester to find the best times etc. i also cannot walk or do the gym on a full stomach so am trying to keep meals light this is where i need to find a routine :help:
sounds like everyone has some good ideas already and are getting into the swing of it mentally which is the hardest part for me.

For me watching what I ate never worked, what helped was exercising like a crazy lady lol.

Did an 8 mile run the other day after work, can't believe how much my fitness has come on lately and I'm down to 8st 10. I eat what I like now but do try and have healthy dinners and fruit etc when I can. Before I was 10st 6

Best of luck everyone!

I too agree more exercise helps,I could usually eat most of what I wanted but I can't do the same exercise since my op and I now am needing to watch what I eat :rolleyes:
Ale that is fantastic,well done on all your yard work!

I have to admit, I went anti exercise when I'd lost my weight and was initially learning how to maintain. This was because I'd fallen into going OTT on the exercise the last time I lost my weight and it wasn't sustainable. I found myself exercising more and more to enable me to continue with my old bad habits so it didn't last and my weight quickly went back on again. Didn't want that to happen again thus time so I stopped all specific exercise so my expectations of level of consumption was set much lower at normal daily activity levels so I could learn how to eat to that amount.

Yes I agree jc I went ott with exercise a few years back,I now do walking as my main exercise as I can do this with the animals and I find it keeps a level head about it,the gym is more for my knee to get me back to a physical fitness just to manage something as simple as climbing the stairs at a quick pace,I've always been a flit about type person always doing something,my knee has slowed me down a lot,I would just like to be able to manage my normal daily activities at the same pace I used to as this held my weight without having to go ott with diets if that makes sense.
So I am having to now manage my diet more than I used to,I have always ate pretty healthy just too much sometimes :eek:

For me watching what I ate never worked, what helped was exercising like a crazy lady lol.

Did an 8 mile run the other day after work, can't believe how much my fitness has come on lately and I'm down to 8st 10. I eat what I like now but do try and have healthy dinners and fruit etc when I can. Before I was 10st 6

Best of luck everyone!

Well done Ale! Very impressive!

I'm trying to eat healthily, hoping that this by itself will kick start a bit of weight loss, which it should do theoretically as I won't be consuming nearly so much fat or sugar. Tonight, I made a tomato, pepper and red lentil soup - the lentils made it thick so it seemed almost like a 'cream of' tomato. Was very nice, and I reckon the portion I ate was probably no more than 250 calories (though I did have some lightly buttered wholegrain bread with it.) and I still feel full!

I have to admit, I went anti exercise when I'd lost my weight and was initially learning how to maintain. This was because I'd fallen into going OTT on the exercise the last time I lost my weight and it wasn't sustainable. I found myself exercising more and more to enable me to continue with my old bad habits so it didn't last and my weight quickly went back on again. Didn't want that to happen again thus time so I stopped all specific exercise so my expectations of level of consumption was set much lower at normal daily activity levels so I could learn how to eat to that amount.

This is interesting to read. I find the more exercise I do, I naturally get into a better eating/ way of living without having to try too hard. Things like drinking more water, getting enough sleep and craving meals rather than just chocolate just come naturally when I'm exercising. But everyone is different and I'm glad you found what worked for you :)

Oh I agree, I feel better when I'm exercising but the difference was that I never changed what, and how much, I ate so the exercise just disguised my poor habits.

As I tend to say on most of these threads, its finding what works for the individual and thinking (as its happening) what it is that overeating or eating the wrong thing satisfies in us. We all know that eating too many calories means we'll gain, or not lose, weight, so why is it that so many of us can't stick to mostly what's healthy and in the amounts we need? That's why dieting in past never worked, I never got to the bottom of changing that relationship with food.

So today is weetabix for breakfast,banana for mid morning snack,healthy choice tomato and bean soup for lunch,mid day snack is an apple and tea is salmon with brown rice :)
Walking malaika for an hour and dogs twice for 30 mins then an hour at the gym which is light exercise fir my knee but burns about 350 calories so it all helps.
My aim is to get back down to 9 1/2 stone,any lower and I look ill,have been lower in the past but it was not healthy.

Oh I agree, I feel better when I'm exercising but the difference was that I never changed what, and how much, I ate so the exercise just disguised my poor habits.

As I tend to say on most of these threads, its finding what works for the individual and thinking (as its happening) what it is that overeating or eating the wrong thing satisfies in us. We all know that eating too many calories means we'll gain, or not lose, weight, so why is it that so many of us can't stick to mostly what's healthy and in the amounts we need? That's why dieting in past never worked, I never got to the bottom of changing that relationship with food.

I too think its what works for the individual,my relationship with food has been from one extreme to the other over the years,either eat far too much or no where near enough its only this last couple of years I have managed to find a happy medium and learnt triggers for either eating too much or not enough.I have to work hard to keep myself eating right but it has got easier.

newrider.com