The great things about owning a horse!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Or loaning, sharing or simply just loving...add yours!

1. I am always at work at least an hour early due to getting up at the crack of dawn.
2. I own about 600 pairs of long warm socks which I now love!
3. Non horsey people giggle when I tell them about his cheeky ways (eg. How he likes to grab the broom and do some sweeping!)
4. I get to see the sunrise from the yard in the mornings :D

I have no money
I have no time
I smell of the stables
And so does the house.....

Oh hang on, am I answering this right!!!!

It's worth it all though when you have those truly magical moments - that happen all the time - of a horse blowing gently into your hair, or taking you safely round some jumps, or cantering across an open field, or lying down and letting you have a little cuddle with them and and and.....

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
I know they're both gorgeous but when other people tell me the same I just swell with pride.

When we're standing in the yard drinking tea and someone calls Albi and he just lifts his head.... so I then call and he comes running to the gate to see us because he knows my voice.

Muzzle kisses.

Neck cuddles.

Warm hay-scented breath on your cheek

Tack cleaning (I know, I know.... just had to chuck it in there :rolleyes: )

Reactions: MrA
Times like yesterday when both girls come to the fence and once I'm in their arena they both come gently investigating and then follow me to their boxes. They are both so gentle and a pleasure to be around. I like that they always come to us, even if it is just for scratches!
The other great things are their smell, having a reason to get up early every day and not fester in bed!lol, a reason to spend more time outside......there are lots of things......all good:D
One of my favourite things is when her head comes nudging me for mutual grooming. And then the look of utter happiness once I oblige.......:D

I know they're both gorgeous but when other people tell me the same I just swell with pride.

When we're standing in the yard drinking tea and someone calls Albi and he just lifts his head.... so I then call and he comes running to the gate to see us because he knows my voice.

Muzzle kisses.

Neck cuddles.

Warm hay-scented breath on your cheek

Tack cleaning (I know, I know.... just had to chuck it in there :rolleyes: )

Lol to the tack cleaning! I knew you'd throw that one in.....:pheehee - I quite enjoy the smell of my hands after cleaning tack but that's about it.......:)

I love nice clean tack but I hate the smell on my hands afterwards! Its horrible cycling home as my hands always feel really greasy

I love nice clean tack but I hate the smell on my hands afterwards! Its horrible cycling home as my hands always feel really greasy

Hahhaa I only use saddle soap - maybe that's what I like the smell of?! I like the smell of leather too - and even better, horse leather (if you know what I mean - can only mean I've ridden which is a good thing)

Whereas I can't bear the feel of reins that have rubbed on a sweaty, greasy neck *shudders*

I love the feel of the wind whipping your cheeks when your out of the saddle cantering along paths out hacking. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I look at my horse and see how they've changed for the better.
Or the kisses and cuddles they occasionally share. The smell of my horses...

I'm certifiably nuts I'm sure but I always sniff my horses on cuddles!

Reactions: Trewsers
I love the feel of the wind whipping your cheeks when your out of the saddle cantering along paths out hacking. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I look at my horse and see how they've changed for the better.
Or the kisses and cuddles they occasionally share. The smell of my horses...

I'm certifiably nuts I'm sure but I always sniff my horses on cuddles!

Yep me too, I always have a good sniff!
OH loves the smell of them too, he always says how good they smell whenever he's been away for the day and then comes round to the stables.:D

My boyfriend doesn't like the smell of the yard but he soon gets used to it. I don't think he will ever get used to the smell of ales wees though haha

My boyfriend doesn't like the smell of the yard but he soon gets used to it. I don't think he will ever get used to the smell of ales wees though haha

Lol I actually like the smell of mares wee .o_O......(runs off and hides:p) well I think there are a lot worse smells.....hehheeee

I remember the first time OH and I turned up for our first lesson when we came back from our holiday hack. We both were absolutely delighted by the smell when we got out of the car:D the yard was so homely - the smell of all the horses......:D

You can hack out on your own and chat to them.
Today she stopped to look at the sheep. I told her that the brown one had a blaze down its face like she did. :)
No idea on the breed. She didn't know either.

The smell, when you snuggle in their mane, is the absolute best :D they all have a slightly different smell to, it's very individual. I also love the smell of a hot sweaty horse :) and every time they do something with you by choice, that moment is special.
I do also love the smell of a yard, it's instant happy place in my brain. And leather, like in a proper saddlery when you walk in and that smell envelopes you.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
newrider.com