The end of an era

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been away for so long, but there have been quite a few changes in my life in the past year. For a start I got married five months ago. We've been happily living in our new house, taking turns riding Pimpao. We knew each other from the yard for some time now. Started dating early last year, and finally tied the knot! Unfortunately not all is good, and there is a not so bright side to the story...

Now I'm no longer a batchelor with no bills to pay and lots of free time to ride. Now there is quite a bit of money draining away each month. And with work farther away from home, and lots of things to help out with in the house, time is short too.

To cut a long story short, I'm going to sell Pimpao.

I knew, when I decided to buy him, that it would be only for a couple of years. Of course that doesn't make it any easier now. Still don't regret the decision even one little bit. Anyway, the time as come to let him go. I would have sold him a couple of months ago, but he is such a good opportunity for my wife to learn (or so the excuse goes!), that I decided to keep him a little longer. Next week we'll be off from work, so we will spend a little more time with him, then I'll have to decide exactly what to do.

Well, anyway... forgetting for a moment the less positive times ahead. We have been doing great. A half-decent half-pass at walk and trot, and a crude one at canter. A bit of lazy piaffe and some spanish walk. A rushed and over-excited canter pirouette from piaffe, and levade. All of it under saddle or on long-reins. At some time we did some jumping too, up to one meter simple vertical. Lately I've been working on canter without reins. He as also been doing a bit of school-master work for the benefit of my wife. He is so much stronger and well balanced than he was. Much more alive and interacting with the other horses, also.
I do feel I did a decent work with him. At least he is mentally and phisically better after our time together. I'm better off for the times we shared, too!

Maybe some time, latter on, we'll buy another horse together and start it all over again!

I'll leave you with a photo of Pimpao and my wife. He looks huge, but it's just that he is one step higher than my wife, and she is not that tall to start with ;) !

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 441
Well it is good he had gone to you cos you have done great work with him! I wish i could do tht with my mare, it is what i am aiming for in the long and distant future - i just need to learn how to do it ;) lol

Oh Pedro, it's so good to hear from you again. Many congratulations on your marriage - you really have been away too long!

What a hard, hard decision it is for you to make with regards to Pimpao. For as long as I can remember it has been 'Pedro and Pimpao' - in fact since I joined this board. But obviously you've thought about it long and hard and all good things must come to an end, this being no exception, it seems.

As you've said, many good things have come out of your time together, lots of happiness included, so I'm sure you'll always have many happy memories of the beautiful Pimpao. He really does look every bit as gorgeous as ever in that photo.

Do you plan to stay involved in horses despite bing horseless, or are you thinking about having a break from them altogether?

I don't know whether to say congratulations on the wedding or comiserations on the decision you have to make re. Pimpao.

You're "chronicles of a new rider" were one of the first things I read when I joined NR as a fellow adult new rider. Hearing the follow on gives me hope that I too can acheive the dream of riding well enough to bring on a horse. Whatever happens you've done Pimpao proud :). Don't stay away so long next time.....

I am another one who read every single instalment of "Chronicles of a new rider" when I first found the board. And..... I've got a picture of Pimpao as my screen saver (one of him in his stall, looking to the right, with the kindest expression in his eye) :) He has got to be one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen.

Congatulations on the marriage Pedro, and good luck for the future, whatever you decide with Pimpao. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Pedro! It's unfortunate that you may have to sell Pimpao, but as you said, he's better off now than when you got him. Maybe in the future you'll be able to get back to the horses and we'll have "Chronicles of a Returning Rider". Take care Pedro! :)

He's a beautiful animal! I love his man it looks so thick! Congradulations and good luck in the future!

Lovely to hear from you again Pedro, echo the others congratulations on you marriage and hugs at the thought of having to sell Pimpao.

The picture of your wife and Pimpao is absolutely beautiful.

All the best :D

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Take your time, ponymadgal - I sure did! I feel that if I'd start it all over again, I'd get to the same point with Pimpão in one third of the time. More than me teaching a horse, all this time it was about me learning how to teach a horse. After all, it's the path and not the final destination that really matters. And owning a horse sure is a wonderfull hike! :)

I'll go back to weekly lessons. After three years riding one horse exclusively, I've become a one-horse-rider. It's time to apply all Pimpao taught me to other horses. That should keep me busy for quite some time!

To Tangle... from my personal experience, I'd say that you don't have to be that good a rider to own a horse. I'd say having suport from friends around you in the yard can make up for lack in experience or vocation. Dedication is (in my opinion) the most important quality in a horse owner. It is not enough to overcome every single problem, but it helps in most. There are horses out there for all kind of rider habilities, and there is a lot that can't be learned without being responsible for the training of your own horse.

Who knows... maybe in the future I'll be able to get another horse, to share with my wife and any children we might have! ;)

:eek: OMG. That is a beautiful picture.
To be honest if I had to choose between marriage and keeping my horse I do not know what my decision would be. :eek:
Luckily combining incomes and living expenses has actually made it easier for us to afford our hobby and build a better place for the horses.

I hope you won't miss him too terribly. Too bad Maria can't afford two or else she could buy Pimpao and we would still be able to keep track of him.

Pedro nice to hear from you again. Congrats on your marriage and wishing you both all the best for the future.

Sorry to hear you have taken the decision to sell Pimpao. Best of luck

Ahh Pedro, we joined NR around the same time, I still remember reading your posts, even the first one :) Infact, I remember you saying that you had been to NZ before and journeyed through my town.

To hear that you've married, that is incredible, and fantastic news. Perhaps you'll never come here again, but I feel I must give you my best wishes, and all the best for Pimpao.

Good luck for the future, and I hope you get those children which you hope for :)

Congratulations on you marriage Pedro. I too have followed your Lusitano adventures with great interest over the years. I hope you will still be coming to Golega to visit....I will be there for the 10th time this year.

Now come on all you New Riders....who is going to buy Pimpão ?...what more could you want, Pedro has schooled the horse superbley for you, and the transport to the UK is only about £700 :D

Yes, the chronicles of Pedro were the first thing I read on NR - before I plucked up courage to join the forums!!! Glad all going well for you Pedro - lovely hoss, shame you have to sell, but he sounds fab and am sure will go to a good home. :D

Hee hee I read them all aswell when I worked in an office...kept me out of trouble (or in it as the case may be!!)

Your wife is very beautiful...that picture is gorgeous.

I hope all goes well, maybe you could loan him out instead of selling him?

Good luck anyway.

You have come so far...it is an inspiration

S x

Too bad Maria can't afford two or else she could buy Pimpao and we would still be able to keep track of him.

Oh no, KarinUs, you are terrible!!!! You're taunting me! ;)

As for choosing betwen marriage or horse, if it was Pegs, he would won!

Pedro,
muitos Parabéns e felicidades para o futuro. O começo de uma nova vida a dois é algo memorável. (I already have some experience, I'm on hubbie nº 2).

I am speechless after reading that you decided to part with your horse, but life is like that. We haven't said much for a long time; Pegs is dead now and I have a sweet mare these days. I was hoping to keep her and to achieve the wonderful things you achieved with Pimpão one day, but I cannot on my own, and she is not suitable for me to ride her at this point. So, I'm also on the selling band-wagon, although she is likely to go to England.

What happened to Pimpão in the meantime?

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately Pimpao is gone, fortunately I found what I hope is a good home for him…

I posted an ad in a Portuguese horse site, with some photos (http://fortunato.freewebspace.com/Fotos.html). Eventually this man contacted me. He has an older, retired friend, with a large property and a few horses. Pimpao now lives with these horses, in a large electric fenced paddock, has lots of food and no three-meals-a-day routine. No school work and is ridden only for long walks in the countryside at weekends. As far as he is concerned, he must feel he is in heaven! His new owner is nice, loves animals and wanted a new horse after loosing the previous one some months ago to illness. He brought is daughter to check for her approval, and his friend for “technical advisory”. Since then it seems Pimpao has also conquered the heart of his wife (who, I gather, is not much into our rather expensive hobby! :) ). My wife and I have a standing invitation to go and spend a day with them… although I’m a bit divided on that one, to tell you the truth.

The certainly dreadful experience of his travel to our yard in the “gipsy van”, plus four years without getting into a trailer, gave me some misgivings about loading Pimpao. In the end it took less than five minutes… and an apple :)! Since then I’ve talked with is new owner, who said that not only is he very pleased with Pimpao, but that they had driven him in the trailer another time, and he was great loading: They tied him up to the trailer, left him be and after a while he got in by himself!

To cut it short… I think Pimpao found the perfect retirement – the one I couldn’t give him. I do believe he is, at least, has happy now as he was with me. And that made it so much easier to let him go!

So here I am now… back to lessons! Married life is going along great – and I certainly recommend it! ;)

Pedro Fortunato

Pedro,
I strongly believe that there so horses who come into our lives with an aim; they are enlightened animals. I am sure that Pimpão touched your life, just as Pégaso touched mine.

I am so, so, so pleased and relieved that he found such an extraordinary place to live, considering what's intalled for most horses in our country.

My mare may be sold... I don't know yet. Eventually I'll be looking for another horse. Could you please email/pm me the horse site where you advertised Pimpão?

I wish you all he best of luck and all the happiness for the future.

Pedro - Congratulations on the marriage, and im sorry about selling pimpao, the photos of him when you advertised are fantastic, and im sure he's loving his new home.
Dont forget to return once in a while, all the best for the future!
Azza x

Last edited:
newrider.com