The diary of Shadow and Bailey

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Seeing all the other diaries, got me thinking perhaps I should write something about my two boys..I'll start with Shadow..

Shadow I've owned since he was 17 months old, he came from Bolton. He was very out of proportion when he arrived, but at that age, most youngsters do go through an ugly ducking stage..
His first experience with me, when it came to picking feet out was a funny one.. he obliged giving me his foot, then realized he couldn't quite find his balance! He hence dropped to his knees but quickly regain composure:D
My yo thought he was small for a grown up horse, but once I explained to him he was just a baby, he asked "Has he been done?", my reply was he was done as a yearling..
The first 5 months were hell.. not because of his behaviour.. he was just so...well..dirty!! Every day, I must have took out 3 wheel barrows of muck:eek:!! This went on until xmas.. then all of a sudden, it came to an end.. he became the cleanest horse on the yard (PHEW!!)
He had a large mixed herd to play with (30).. he made friends with George, a 16h3 coloured cob x.. and was pretty pally with the herd leader, Murphy.. a chestnut gelding.. his foe was a 14hh Arab called Tobi.. this one kept bullying him at the gate, and on one occasion he chased him upto the fence and Shadow fell over and was left lying on his back with his legs stuck in the air:eek:!

Last edited:
Then there's Bailey

I first met him at eight days old in the middle of no where (Peak District).. His mum wouldn't let any one near him, and at that time, his dad was still with him..
Pity, I don't seem to have down loaded any of his father, Tornado.. but his mum's here;) I put a deposit down as soon as I met him, he's such a lovely little thing:D
It took them 2 weeks to get him boxed up to bring him to me, once he was old enough to leave his mum, she was all hoof and mouth:eek:.. In the end, she has to come with him (hold his hoof) until they were unloaded and he was safely shut into stable.
She was then taken away, this bit was stressful for them both:(.
His first 6 weeks were spent inside, after the first week, the mesh over the bottom door was removed, and he was able to see outside properly (well, almost :eek:).. He kept swinging his bum at me, not wanting contact.. I had to spend weeks, talking to him, and slowly moving up his sides, rubbing him with my hands, until he let me rub his head:)

Last edited:
newrider.com