The costs of a horse - have I thought of everything?

Thanks everyone. You have given me lots to think about.

I didn't include petrol costs because I already drive to this yard twice a week, and I drive to one 3 times further away twice a week as well. I will probably save money on petrol when I get my own horse. I also already keep a well stocked grooming kit of fly spray, hoof oil etc. as I use these on the RS horses and my share horse.

I'm pretty good and not spending money and only buy essentials. I have £5,000 to buy the horse and kit me out in tack/rugs/equipment etc. and with any luck I might get some left over. I know that rugs get trashed and horses change shape, so I will consider these in my budget as well.

I don't intend to compete other than the tiny local shows and I certainly won't have the budget to get a box.

Also, I know that I might get shot down for this, or I might change my mind, but I am very wary about some supplements. I think that salt and oil and garlic are essential, but I'm really not sure about some of the supplements on offer. I know people who spend about £100 per month on various things - I'm not sure that they actually do much good.

I am very wary about some supplements. I think that salt and oil and garlic are essential, but I'm really not sure about some of the supplements on offer.

Again, it depends on opinion - and who you speak to! I used to feed Roxy a bit of garlic until I found out it can cause problems so stopped feeding it. Some oils are essential but again some people believe only Omega 3 oils and not things such as cod liver oil or sunflower oil - especially as it's not natural for a horse to each anything fish/meat related.

Not saying that the above is definitely right or wrong but it's worth thinking about before assuming that just because it's what others do, or that's right for them, it might not be good for all (I know those who have horses that suffer with switch itch don't feed garlic for example).

This is interesting - I recently added up how much Kal costs/per month. He's on DIY assisted livery and my costs include lessons/him being schooled 3x/week and it comes to approx £650/month - we live in a similar area so I think you're probably spot on.

Kal's basic livery costs £160/month
Hay/bedding boosts this up by about another £100
Assistance during the week (I work in London) is often another £100
Shoes every five weeks £70
Physio every three months £60
Dentist once a year £50
Schooling/lessons £60/week

Everyone else is right that it's the incidentals that get you . . . fly spray, mane & tail, shampoo, saddle dressing, hoof dressing, treats, supplements, rug cleaning/repair, tack adjustments, boots/bandages, etc.

Kal came to us with a very nice saddle that just didn't fit him, a bridle, martingale, headcollar/leadrope, three good quality turnout rugs (all H/W), a polypad, gamgee and leg/tail bandages and a nice set of eventing boots, a thermatex (with holes) and a fleece. Because he has continued to grow/change shape (and b/c he is spoiled) he has a new saddle/bridle, four new numnahs, one pro-lite riser pad, brushing and overreach boots, two fly rugs and a fly mask, three lightweight turnouts, three more fleeces, a new thermatex, one lightweight stable rug with no neck, one l/w stable rug with neck, two h/w polys (no neck), one h/w poly with neck, one m/w turnout with neck, two h/w turnouts with neck, lunging roller, lunging cavesson, two lunge lines, lunge whip, leather side reins, fleece quarter sheet, hi-viz quarter sheet, multiple buckets and skips, a wheelbarrow, muck and shavings forks, yard broom, four haynets, a full grooming kit . . . it adds up!

Oh - and don't forget what you'll need for you . . . b/c I muck out/do yard work in all weathers, I go through muckers quite quickly and I also found I needed more jods than when I was only riding/at the yard at the weekends. Invest in some really good waterproof/lined gloves for the winter - your fingers will thank you when it's minus 6 and you've got to wash out feed bowls and sort out fiddly haynets. Also consider investing in some fleece-lined full chaps for yard work and riding when it's cold.

N

On supplements . . . I found I was feeding far too many so had a rethink of Kal's feed (with the help of an equine nutritionist). Now he just gets Alfa A Molasses Free (he can't go anywhere near molasses - sends him right round the twist) and Blue Chip Original feed balancer - and that's it. The Blue Chip is complete and natural - supports his feet, nervous system, joints, lungs, the lot. I love it (and so does Kal).

One thing, though, you'll find that whether supplements are needed (or not) will really be dependent on the horse you buy. Some horses need a little support - Kal, for example, has horrible feet and in the summer especially needs something to boost healthy horn growth.

Good luck!

N

Having read one of your more recent threads I think you have a horse/ loan now? Anyway I thought this was worth bumping.

My TBxID rising 15 yr old mare costs me a lot less than i originally imaged when i spent my youth dreaming of owning a horse. She is unshod, lives out 24/7 and only gets hay in the cold in winter. Of course actually buying her wasn't cheap, but now I spend:

£280 on petrol (was £50 but recently moved away from yard grr). I do a lot of other stuff as well as just going back/ forth from yard so not purely horse related cost.
£35 Insurance
£20 feed (average treats/ carrots/ chaff/ supps as I don't feed much)
£120 livery - out 24/7 but we have a stable if needed and Y/O will do anything at no extra cost
£20 Fly spray in summer (usually make my own from black tea, water, citronella, peppermint, and deet, but failing that i pick something up from saddlery)
£30 Hay in winter
I rarely have a lesson but if I do it's £25
Then yearly probably around £100 on bits and pieces like extra rugs (ebay), riding gear for me (ebay)
4 x worm counts & analysis £33
Wormers (twice a year unless more needed) £30
Dentist/ Back checks etc £150

So on average monthly she costs me around £500. Used to be a lot more when we paid for "assisted livery" (basically DIY with add ons like turn out/ bring in/ pick feet/ change rugs now and then etc). Also paid a lot less when we just had a field rented at £10 per week. The set up we have now works for us :)

One thing I would recommend is having a horse fund if at all possible. Even if you have insurance and both you and horsie are fully kitted out, it will give you that extra cushion if unexpected vet bills come up or something breaks/ needs replacing. It's also worth investing in regular lessons (pot, kettle i know - working on it ;))

Crap, keep thinking of more things!! - Trims (we can go abut 8 weeks between trims) £15 a time.
Jabs - can't remember how much

OK, so not that cheap :D

But it CAN be a lot cheaper if you have your own/ rent land and focus on keeping costs down.

Last edited:
I have never added it up.

We make most of our own winter haylage, I think that worked out at £300 which will keep us going perfectly well over the winter for 30 horses all living out.

ONly 6 get shod and since I do them myself it's only shoes and nails and gas and deterioration in tools and stuff I have to pay for (in money, the cost to my back remains ot be seen!) Hard feed we rarely bother with. most horses in the UK in the work they are in do not need hard feed.IMO happy hackers don;t need a bucket feed unless they are extremely poor doers. Most folk wouild have a more level headed animal.
Saddlery is all made in house too, so I don;t count that. All our bridles and saddlery repairs and maintenance are done from the scrap box!

Reactions: Ruskii
Wow, it's really funny looking back on this thread - and others I wrote in my horse hunting stage. I feel so lucky that I ended up with a horse which matched my requirements completely. It turns out that I was spot on with my prediction. I bought Ben for well within my £5000 budget (he was £3,500) although I spent about £1000 on vets fees for the vetting and the strangles gutteral pouch testing that my yard insisted on.

We went to the expensive yard where we still are. I was recently offered a place at the much cheaper DIY place in my village but have managed to defer it and am still top of the waiting list for when another space may come up. My current costs add up as follows:

Livery: £400 per month. This includes everything - all care, all feed, all hay etc. If I didn't want to come up then I don't have to at all. In reality I see him everyday and always muck out his stable (he comes in for 6 hours during the day for a sleep!) but the yard staff will catch him for me, pick out his feet, check him over, change rugs, feed (if he has one). They are also fantastic about giving me advice and support. I feel that he gets the very best of care and that it's worth paying the money for.

Shoes: £20 per month (£40 per 8 weeks). He has very good feet which grow very slowly and is only shod on fronts.

Insurance: £27 per month

Teeth/vacs: £11 per month (I have a plan which covers this).

Extras (saddle check, back check, mane and tail conditioner, carrots, bits and bobs): about £20 per month.

So all in all he costs about £478 per month. Sometimes I have the odd lesson and go out to a competition, but these are pretty rare and only when I have some spare cash. He is worth every single penny!

I never ever add it up. Because if I did, I would be absolutely horrified! All I can say is, it isn't the buying of the horse that is the killer!

I started adding it all up the other day as I was dropping big hints to Mr T about getting another pair. (One won't do as one will get left out if we go hacking together). He changed the subject...............

I find when totting up the cost of my love affair with horses the only way to do it properly is... to stick my head in the sand, put my fingers in my ears and sing la la la la at the top of my voice
( usually to the bank when they ring up:/!!)
So although its very logical and responsible to know exactly how much they cost us, the thought of ACTUALLY knowing sends me into a state of hyperventilation:/
but lets just say my horse is waaayyyy better dressed/conditioned/groomed than I:/!!!!

I told OH that having two would not cost me that much extra. What he did not know was how much Chanter was costing in the first place:giggle:

I have a rough sum in my head but I know full well that they are spoilt rotten have far more than they need and if I really tried I could cut back but I just can't.

They bring me 365 days of happiness what more could you want.

i dont add up but winter is a lot more expensive .... when i did try and tot it all up i stopped when i realised angel is costing me so much in hay i could actually keep two ponies for the price of one Angel :p but, to be honest, I'd rather have the one Angel any day :D

For us, in winter we spend about £170 a month on rent/straw/hay.

In summer about £120 per month - they are in more in winter and require more hay to keep weight on. In summer they are stabled 12hrs a day but lower rations due to grass intake!

On top of that feet are £35 every right weeks (I do pigs myself but they are checked every time madam has hers done).

I would say probably £500 per year on vets fees (for vaccs and a few check ups/blood tests).

Teeth are £25 for a rasp as he does the yard in one go -£50 total

And then about £600 for rugs/tack etc. that said we are fairly set up with tack - so it's refits an numnah a rugs etc.

Insurance is £35 for them total.

This is for my two, who are fairly small but she has a lot of health issues. They share a stable. Piggy costs me about £35 a month on average - he isn't rugged, touch wood never sick or sorry... So it is just what he gets treated too as he very rarely needs anything! He puts the bedding up by 1 bale per week, his insurance is £8 and then I've factored in his vaccs and teeth :)

Last edited:
My field rent is going up this month from £130 for two to £160 for two, which though I grumble is still very reasonable for my area (though YO does nothing at all).

I don't spend much on hay, the boys eat less than a round bale a month (£25) but their feeds are very expensive because of the herbs - I estimate that I spend £75 a month on feeds.

Mattie's shoes are cheap at £30 every six weeks, Ziggy's barefoot trims are expensive at £50 every five weeks (but worth it). Insurance is £100 a month. I don't buy that much kit these days as I have most things.

My lessons are £20 an hour for hacking with my RI or £30 for 45 minutes in the school. I probably have a couple of lessons a month.

The most expensive expense I have is my friend/groom Carol who does my poo picking duty for me, walks Ziggy if I can't take him out, and checks horses and feet whenever she is in the field. I pay her £10 a day which is a bit over the odds but it's worth it. This is an expense I could do without but it keeps Carol's family off the breadline (literally) so I feel a bit obliged to keep it up: plus I am so busy that it would be difficult to find 45 minutes a day to poo pick, especially in the winter.

I'm really glad this thread has been produced and saved! it's really interesting to see the cost of a horse written out bit by bit and to see the difference in price, depending on what area you live in. However, although costs in London are higher, jobs in London pay better therefore it equals out almost.

I live in Devon and were curious to how much a horse will cost but I think it really does depend on where you livery. :smile: I think if I were to get a horse i'd budget around £300 per month.. but that's just going off a few costs in my head and through experience of knowing what friend's pay etc.

To keep our two ponies it costs me about £20 per week on feed and i think the farrier is about £15-20 and I don't pay any livery cos they are in the field out back. but its so much for tack.

Ale costs...

Winter per month:
Rent £175 (diy)
Hay £20
Shavings £38
Lessons £20
Shoes £30
Insurance £40
Supplement £20
With extras eg. Rugs, clippers, salt licks, bag of hifi at least £400

Summer I'd like to say its cheaper but I somehow doubt it very much!

newrider.com