the best, and worst, of human nature

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Today i was very touched to receive a box of homemade cupcakes from a pupil as a christmas gift. They look stunning and smell divine! When she presented them to me she said they were a thank you for all my help getting her through her course assessments. Of course they were not required but very much appreciated. It's good to know there are some genuine people out there!

Now onto the not so nice side. My dad had a car accident last week. The guy at fault admitted fault but he is now trying to back pedal. He doesn't have a leg to stand on but never the less it's put my dad in a foul mood. No wonder! What a scumbag!

My parents are also being plagued by phone calls for some dozy bint in the nearby town who's given out our ex-directory phone number on everything from loan applications to charity stuff. We think she's made up a number and not realised it is an actual phone number. But my parents have received nearly 50 calls over the months. I've located the girl on facebook but my dad has vito'd me from sending her a polite message asking what she's playing at. So i've put feelers out to my friends still living in my home town asking them to pass onto her to pack it in. I'm not sure what else we can do. I'd be round at her front door but my parents aren't quit as proacive as i am :p we have her address coz during one nuisance call mum asked them for the girls address and they gave it over!

It's maybe because i was brought up properly, taught not to lie and taught to be honest but i cannot tolerate bad behaviour and dishonest attributes in jo public. Am i alone or am i just a grumpy not so old woman?! :p

MIL was getting some nuisance calls so OH phoned BT and they were very helpful. The calls soon stopped. Worth a try I would say, as is registering their number with TPS (although I realise if someone is giving the number out TPS is not going to filter everything.)

We are ex directory AND registered with TPS! This has been pointed out to all the nuisance calls. But because the number was specifically given out by this dopey moron the companies say there is nothing they can do. I'll get my dad on the case with BT :) also amazing what you can find out on facebook....!!

We are ex directory AND registered with TPS! This has been pointed out to all the nuisance calls. But because the number was specifically given out by this dopey moron the companies say there is nothing they can do. I'll get my dad on the case with BT :) also amazing what you can find out on facebook....!!

Yes, and I suppose it's good that you found out who it is even if your hands are a bit tied at the moment. Imagine how it would feel if you had no idea why the calls had started? :frown:

It's a bit frustrating with parents though isn't it? I feel mine have been unfairly treated by a business they have used many times in the past and I am having to sit on my hands and bite my lip - parents can't see that this business have taken the p*** with them so I can't intervene. Still, I do sort of believe in Karma...

oh gosh yes, it's driving me mad!! I'd be straight round there at her front door laying down the consequences of her actions. Again, it's maybe my teacher instinct but my pupils know that in my classroom, as in life, actions have consequences. And this girl needs to learn that her actions have caused MY parents distress and annoyance. And as their daughter i don't appreciate that!! But parents won't let me do anything so like you my hands are tied. What's worse is my dad has spoken with this girls mum... who didn't give a s**t that her daughter was using someone elses details fraudulently. As they say, apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Had i pulled a stunt like that my dad would have gone (to quote sheldon!) bat cr*p crazy!

How did the girl know your parents number? may be its just a mistake.

I would just change my number tbh then she wont have it and can't use it again.

If she has done it on purpose, that's a nasty trick. However people who play tricks like that tend to enjoy a response, so I still say, change the number and ignore her.

on the car side, my husband was hit when stationary and parked, he checked, opened the door, nothing was coming up from behind or from the front - he is arthritic so he is quite careful about getting out as he needs to open the door wide to get out.

A car pulled out of a side road, another car swerved to avoid it and hit ours! We did nothing wrong. The car that caused it all didn't stop.

OH of the driver who hit us arrived later, starting swearing at husband, police were called. Both insurance companies decided to go 50/50 even though it was not our fault. They paid for the damage to each car. Then the husband sued us for the cost of his repairs so he wouldn't lose his NCB. He wasn't even their. Our insurers refused to fight it in court and paid him and took it off our NCB!

Something a bit wrong there. I felt like putting an advert in the local paper saying if you are in an accident with scumbag x be very careful.

How awful D and T, and I can understand how you would want to put an ad in the paper but unfortunately this scumbag will only escalate the situation. As I said earlier in this thread, I do believe in Karma though so just hold on to the thought that his actions will catch up with him someday.

Do think you should name and shame the Insurance company though, they sound pretty useless.

D&T that is just awful - not right, I would be very annoyed.
Eb - echo the advice about ringing BT, much as I dislike them for various reasons they do take nuisance calls seriously.

The guy who admitted guilt may have been forced to retract by his insurance company. We are not allowed to admit guilt.
Just get the details of others involved plus any possible witnesses.
I dont advise anyone to conceded to bullying after an accident. I did. Years ago with a ferocious London taxi driver who caused the accident. he threatened me and I paid cash in hand.
I later discovered that there is a Board governing taxi drivers and any accident should have been reported to them - and the insurance companies even if I ended up paying in the end. The supposition was that the actual driver was not licenced to drive the cab but had "borrowed" if off a friend.
I dont fully understand why a 50/50 share of blame should have been changed by your insurance company. You could have found out why and contested that. There is an insurance Ombudsman.
Unfortunately opening a door on the street side is now taken very seriously as cause of accidents due to so many cyclists being knocked off their bikes and killed that way.
They come up on you silently - one shouted to warn me last week, so other people watch out.

By the way, I think being given cakes is lovely. But am worried that the current fashion for cakes, doughnuts etc is not helping the obesity problem. Very contradictory at Christmas as I am baking too.

I had an accident earlier this year where some one opened his car door whilst I was driving past.

His insurance company texted me to say he had accepted liability, then he later tried to retrack this saying his door was already open and I drove into it!

My solicitor has the evidence of the texts and we are also persuing the local council for CCTV footage, its taking ages, the accident was in April 2012.

How did the girl know your parents number? may be its just a mistake.

I would just change my number tbh then she wont have it and can't use it again.

If she has done it on purpose, that's a nasty trick. However people who play tricks like that tend to enjoy a response, so I still say, change the number and ignore her.

But why should they? we've had the same number for 31 years! and her taking out credit on OUR details affects the credit rating of anyone in our property. Her actions have far reaching consequences and right now i just want to flatten the girl if i'm honest. Not right but the little turd needs to learn she can't behave like she is!

If she has been taking out credit on your property you should get legal advice, surely that is illegal?

I didn't realise that, I thought she was just using your phone number. I would be down on her like a ton of bricks. That is not a prank it is criminal.

If she is actually trying to take out credit using your parents address then you need to contact the credit reference agencies and have a note added to say that an individual is trying to falsely obtain credit and it isn't your parents. Regarding the phone number you must be very frustrated that your parents won't simply ask her to stop.

newrider.com