The Bad Buddy

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I haven't worked Buddy in hand for ages, usually we just have a practice couple of days before shows to check he remembers his manners. but with the ground so hard the last thing you want to do is trot a horse with arthritis.

He was bathed again as he had sweated up so did him in dark horse shampoo on top and whitening on the legs, wrapped them to try to keep clean etc.

Then thought take him and have a little practice. Buddy clearly was not in the mood, he refused to listen was strong and a total old so and so. In the end I let him go he galloped off bucking and kicking. We will have another go tonight when he is probably feeling a bit more cooperative....

Oh dear! Best he gets that out of his system before the show...

Is the Dark Horse shampoo like one of those coloured conditioners I use to keep my highlights silvery? People can get them for black hair.

Reactions: Lollykay
Some horses donā€™t do well when itā€™s too windy as the wind carries smells and sounds, otherwise known as the boogie man to those horsesšŸ˜ØšŸ˜Ø

If it isnā€™t too late, do you have access to an indoor, even if it means hauling out half hour or so?

Some horses donā€™t do well when itā€™s too windy as the wind carries smells and sounds, otherwise known as the boogie man to those horsesšŸ˜ØšŸ˜Ø

If it isnā€™t too late, do you have access to an indoor, even if it means hauling out half hour or so?
no, he'll be fine tomorrow, he was just being a daft boy today

Reactions: Lollykay
Fair enough, I can't imagine it would be much fun with that much wind, anyway.

Hope you're not too disappointed.
gutted to be honest, about 10 hours work, filled the lorry with diesel (!), got a new shirt, trousers, hat, show halter and rope, three baths for buddy etc, fees. But so what, he is more important. A friend is taking hers in similar wind on a 2 1/2 hour each way journey to a show, up to her, we were doing half the distance but it's a twisty exposed route and the box handles like a drunk camel in windy conditions so not worth the risk.

I am so sorry you are out so much but your decision to stay home is a good onešŸ‘šŸ‘

40 MPH sustained winds is nothing to be driving a car in, much carrying a horse, IMO.

Buddy looks quite handsomešŸ˜šŸ˜

The Buddy managed to hack out in blustery conditions this morning, we had a lot of prancing but he was brave enough even when he was chased by his tail blowing forward. Big daft boy. He is now recovering his composure

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Lollykay
He hasn't been ridden for 3 weeks due to show prep - and not going - hot weather or torrential rain. Decided we were going out regardless, windy day, threatening rain, put his rain sheet on and off we went. He was absolutely bouncing. Almost fell off when i failed to see a walker with dog but Buddy didn't and did a huge spook and saddle slipped. He was spooky and playful and full of himself, ate his 2nd breakfast and went out to play.

We went out today again, we were just coming out of the gateway at the yard, turning right, so we were on the right hand side of the road, a cyclist came down the hill doing 40mph in the middle of the road and yelled at me for being on the wrong side of the road, I yelled back that he was going too fucking fast. HE was in the middle of the road, he came round a blind bend, wouldn't have seen a car coming up on the left or going down the right. Where Buddy was there is a verge to get on, there is not one on the other side. anyway if i had been leading him, i would lead on the right of the road to put myself between him and the traffic as he is used to being led on the left

Buddy showed his bravery facing up to a flock of 30 texels coming down the lane behind him followed by a quad bike. They went past him, unfortunately they were going in the wrong direction and were turned and had to pass him again. I think he reached about 18hh this time. Hacked out for an hour came back very carefully in case they were going to pass him again.

newrider.com