The 2-day diet / intermittent fasting

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Anyone tried The 2-day diet

In a nutshell you follow a high protein, no carb, 500 calorie a day diet for two days a week and eat "normally" for the other five. I am planning on trying it for 8 weeks starting next tuesday (I'm going to do Tuesday and thursdays as diet days) and follow slimming world the other days.

Anyone tried The 2-day diet

In a nutshell you follow a high protein, no carb, 500 calorie a day diet for two days a week and eat "normally" for the other five. I am planning on trying it for 8 weeks starting next tuesday (I'm going to do Tuesday and thursdays as diet days) and follow slimming world the other days.

Honestly, 500 calories in a day?! Not enough. I don't think I could take it even for only 2 days a week. I've gone on that and less in a day before and felt truly awful for it - I wouldn't recommend it tbh. :(

I don't think these sort of diets are healthy - they make well be a short term fix, but I think that's all they are. I remember reading a D i c k Francis novel once and of course jockeys have to keep their weight down, and one particular character really struggled. He did all kinds of things to get the pounds down quickly but none of them sounded nice!! He felt faint too - which can't be good.

I'm thinking 8 weeks and then stop just to get another stone off. I've managed to lose a fair bit of weight the healthy way (eating less and moving more) but I'm very much stuck in a rut at the moment and need something to kick start it again.

I know sometimes I think I need something to just kick start the weight getting off - I have lost gradually and very very slowly............but sometimes I get disheartened and think knickers, I feel like crash dieting..........but then my tummy gets the better of me and I have to eat........ properly.............

Wally a stone on this diet?

Sorry but this is not healthy at all. 500 cal a day is just dangerous and as you have horses as well which require physical execise you are in danger of hurting yourself.

I am all for dieting and healthy living and lost a stone myself not long ago but it was done careful with proper food and exercise.

May I be rude enough to surgest changing what exercise you are doing and the food stuff to other low cal/ fat food and an exercise that will increase your heart rate more.

No carb diets are not good full stop, low carb is fine and not mixing carbs like pasta with a jacket pot but to stop eating something the bady actually needs is madness.

Oddly enough I've been reading into this too. I saw the Michael wotshisname programme late last year and thought it seemed interesting. I've just bought his book for my Kindle and just started reading it. There is quite a lot of sound science behind this (or these seems to be, as a lay person it's not easy to judge). It has good outcomes for 'bad' cholesterol and cancer risk also. The roots of it seem to be in the natural world's feed & fast existence- eat when you can get food and go hungry when the hunting fails.

The book above does not advocate the high protein route though. Although it involves ketones it's not Atkins like in the diet regime. I'm tempted. I plan to continue the regular sensible eating until I get to a reasonable weight, and then switch to the 5:2 diet for maintenance hopefully a further slow but sure weight loss beyond that point.

I certainly wouldn't just try it without doing the research first, or from a newspaper or magazine article alone. You need to know it would suit you, your lifestyle and work load. It would me. I'll report back later.

500 calories does me for a day or two, I have plenty of fat to live off. It's not every day.

Suits me.

My mum has always been a bit of a believer that she maintains her weight (In the most part!!) by having a very healthy monday and tuesday a less strict but still sensible wed to friday and maybe something unhealthy over the weekend..

She doesn't go down to 500 calories but no carbs and seems to work - I had porridge lunch and breakfast on Monday, sort of by accident when I worked through lunch and then soup for dinner and some fruit and I have to say it did seem to make me feel better after a weekend that had involved takeaway pizza!

500 calories does me for a day or two, I have plenty of fat to live off. It's not every day.

Suits me.

Do you mind if I ask how long losing the stone took?
I've been looking into this aswel and I'm interested in doing it to get a kick start,I have put some weight on since my knee op as I have to limit the exercise I do,I have been watching what I eat but I am usually so active but a kick start would help as I'm starting to build up exercise.

The BBc had a documentary on last year about this diet. It's allegedly supposed to be good for the body. ( I know sounds daft doesn't it? & I'm dubious I have to admit).

Will see if I can find the news report/or i player link

Any diet that means you take in less energy than your body needs will lead to weight loss. Eating a less than healthy diet doesn't bother me in the short term as its no worse than eating a higher calorie poor diet and carrying around extra weight too!

The question for me therefore has to be, what are we capable of sticking to and what best makes use of our strengths and allows us to retrain our weaknesses to allow us to lose the weight and rehabilitates us to change what got us fat in the first place so we don't regain.

For me, being able in my mind to pig out on my non fasting days would have done nothing to retrain my expectations and get me into learning about portion sizes. It also would not have given the advantages that the Cambridge steps had for me in gradually introducing new foods and thus being able to identify the effects these had on my body and (most critically in the long term) the mind.

There will always be people who think they know what's best for you when they haven't got a clue what your issues are or how best to prompt you to change them. At the end of the day, you need to identify your strengths and weaknesses where food is concerned (i really recommend doing a thought diary to chart thoughts and feelings where food is concerned) and then work out what approach would best suit your needs.

If it were just about doing a diet, rather than mostly being about mind and attitude, then there wouldn't be so many overweight and obese people who are unable to lose weight in the longterm.

I successfully lost 95lbs last summer and have kept it off and not needed to diet since. Those who were so bloody prescriptive in telling me how wrong I was have never once seen fit to say they might have been wrong. They really upset me at the time and if I'd let them them affect me I wouldn't have lost my weight, and most importantly I wouldn't have learnt how to maintain that weight loss without yoyo dieting.

Last edited:
I suppose it's been 6 weeks.

I too believe it has to be something you can stick to and not become bogged down with. Because I have seen a difference it has inspired me to eat more sensibly on the "normal" days too.

I watched the TV programme too and have the book as it was offered cheap on Kindle.
However anyone who saw the programme will know that on the other 5 days of the week people in the study ate normally. They even tended to eat more calories than they might have done, to make up for but not equal the under-eating on the fast days.
So they were not combining the fast days with any other slimming plan. So people on this thread are right to warn that if one is following a weight loss diet, it may not be a good idea to add any extra fasting.
I admire you Wally! I didnt have the will power to cut my consumption so low when cooking for OH. But for three weeks I lost weight by eating less, then (due to social life) ate normally for two or three days and will now be returning to low carb again.
One used to wring one's hands and lament if one "broke" a diet but now it seems that some days of normal eating are supposed to prevent your weight yo yoing back up when you eventually come off the diet.

Actually, I've been thinking of doing this too - I think I could limit my intake to 500 calories for two days... it's the other five I'm not so sure about :redface:. There is a FB page, Minty with lots of helpful hints. I've been waiting for warmer weather (yeah right) so that I can have something light for brekkie and then disappear off to the yard all day on my low-cal days so that I am out of the way of the temptation of food!!!

newrider.com