That's it, Never again. Mobile going in the bin!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
I hate mobile phones, I have one that lies in a drawer generally out of battery or the Card thingy has been blocked as not been used for 6 months.

Just finally been persuaded to get a 4 g (or somesuch) as apparently, I am informed that we now have coverage in the village and OH has worked some witchcraft with the internet WiFi thingy to get it working at the house. But not having a 4G phone, I have never been able to use it.

so I get new phone, stick sim card in it that has 20 quid credit on it, (I know as the nice lady from Voda phone told me) ONly to find the new one needs unlocking with some sort of code. The old one never did ! SO I finally press various buttons on the voda phone help line to get some kind of code to unlock the fecking thing and I am told my the same nice lady that this service is not available. If I don;t have one it cannot vex me, It's going back to Tesco for my money back! :( :( :( I will carry on with my old one that at least makes phone calls if I drive up to the cattle grid! :( :(

Wally I dont know how you bought your phone or from whom. But most phones sold by the big providers are sold locked and cant be used with other networks until paid off. Like hire purchase. I agree it is a pain being left with unused virgin credit.
In London suppliers will usually unlock phones if you have a special reason like going abroad and some suppliers sell all phones unlocked.
I wouldnt dismiss smartphones just because you didnt grasp how the sales work. Even my OH asked for a smart phone qand I am writing this on a motorway and are listening to the Aeneid on a smart phone plugged into the car radio.
All far simpler than saddling and shoeing.

Is it a tesco mobile Wally? Sounds like it is as skib says and locked to testo network. Honestly if that's all it is you just need to buy a vodaphone pay as you go and your Vodafone sim card with credit will work :)

Though I do understand if you havn't needed it why bother with it now, life is actually more peaceful without mobiles.

Reactions: Gimp and Kite_Rider
Is it a tesco mobile Wally? Sounds like it is as skib says and locked to testo network. Honestly if that's all it is you just need to buy a vodaphone pay as you go and your Vodafone sim card with credit will work :)

Though I do understand if you havn't needed it why bother with it now, life is actually more peaceful without mobiles.
I have resisted it for so long, using the excuse that there is no coverage, ocassionally, just ocasionally they come in handy.

Well it sounds as though you just need to buy a vodaphone pay as you go and you will be set.

There is always the option of silent of switch off when you don't want it ;)

My husband hates them, he refuses to get one...he said he would be pestered...he had one in the eighties, you know the ones the size of a brick lol but he wouldn't even know how to work a smartphone lol we have an old pay as you go phone lying about the house and if he needs one in an emergency he'll take it with him..its a really basic one but he can work it lol and we aren't that old..in our forties lol I have a smart phone and I must admit i do like it..:)

Reasons OH needed one.
To text. Easilly.
Sat nav maps. And London transport.
Camera.
Bbc news.
Weather forcast
To phone me.
I did take him out a low usage monthly contract as pay as you go always ran out at the wrong moment.

I think I use mine for photos the most, it takes cracking pictures!

I tried to buy my mother a tesco pay as you go. I was reduced to tears of rage trying to make it work on her behalf. I have however two iphones both of which work fine which is just as well as we have no landline and rely on it for personal and business use.

I do sympathise Wally. I've never bothered with a smartphone as we have zero reception here. We still rely on our landline. I can see their uses, and also their pitfalls. So much these days is based on your having one. (I use my Kindle for a lot of things Skib uses a smartphone for.) I'm not sure people who have ready access to 3G and 4G networks quite grasp how limiting it is to not to have that. If you use these things every day it's second nature. If you never have, it's not. I have learned to use one for work though where there is no choice.

I'm sure I am missing out on some stuff. On the other hand I prefer not to be welded to the damn thing unable to switch it off. We live in beautiful places with a lovely big wide world to enjoy. Compensation for not being able to Poke your Facechat or whatever unless you're at home

I still have a "stupid" phone. Its starting to be on its last legs though.:(
My husband got a "smart" phone last year and it does have some nice features :D;):).

The big drawback is its TOO BIG :(:mad:. so he does not have it on him ALL the time like the OLD one :(:mad:.
That can be really annoying if hes way out back or like going to the fair this weekend if we got separated I could
call-- where are YOU meet me at ..... Not having it on him wandering around was a lot more stressful!! :(
For me my little stupid one works great to have in my pocket riding. It won't do me any good to have a "smart" one that
too big and none are really small enough. NO matter how smart the phone is or how great or Smart Sonny is NEITHER
ONE is going to call 911 if needed because the phone is in the saddle bag . So many people have them on the saddle -- that totally is not going to work for me.

My husband ended up getting a small inexpensive second phone you buy minutes for at walmart that can fit in
his pocket. Luckily the minutes do not go away over time if you don't use it much. (but he did not bring it to the fair) :(

I may end up having to get a similar small "riding phone" cause at the new place I'd love to have the security system
that has the smart phone technology-- and sadly my little stupid phone is getting more and more sticky buttons etc so sooner or later(probably sooner) Its going to have to be replaced.

We ended up getting a nokia lumia as part of our package and it's huge! Seems things have gone full circle mobile wise, they started off massive! Wonder if we'll all end up with bt dial phones again in the endd....now that would be nice (apart from the fact bt and me don't see eye to eye!)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Actually they have started selling non smartphones that do nothing but make calls and text. Obviously they have added a huge price tag for this pleasure of not being connected at the hip to the Internet.

I love tech but I can see more pitfalls with it than I did when it started, we can't leave anything alone and "progress" is another word for force.

My bank was trying to get me to download their app so I can do contactless. No thanks I hate it! Call me old fashioned I like paper money. I don't even like the hole in the wall, about since the 80's?

@horseandgoatmom it's totally pointless having a phone on the saddle when you are on the floor. Mine is large but I dont have a computer. So it has to be large enough to see.

My bank was trying to get me to download their app so I can do contactless. No thanks I hate it! Call me old fashioned I like paper money. I don't even like the hole in the wall, about since the 80's?

I'm totally with you on this, I hate cards..I only ever use my card for online shopping. Everything else i use cash, paper money...I have only used the hole in the wall once, when they first became popular just to see what it was all about :rolleyes: I have never used my card in a shop always use cash..:)

Also I always have my phone on my person when riding as I am mostly always on my own. If I did fall off , the phone wouldn't be much use if it was on the saddle and I was lying on the ground .

I don't care for some of the things listed they can do. I'm not interested in doing banking on a phone.
Or going thru a drive thru for coffee and swiping my phone having it tied up to my BANK ACCT no way!!!
OMG you see that all the time!!
I prefer to pay for things cash too period!
My bank wanted me to get set up for online banking-- I don't do that either.
I do use an atm from time to time.

For sure the phone does no good If its not on your person!!
I ride alone a lot too. But even in company I want to have MY phone ON ME.

Newforest - I have a home computer so I don't need a big phone.
I have looked up the forum a few times when my husband and i were driving someplace on his phone.
As big as his seems to be It was ok to look and read but omg to try to type a reply was really hard.
They always talk about teens texting and driving over here and it's illegal now most everywhere== heck I can't get the hang of it not moving and
giving it my full attention!

Kids of today are told to put their timetable and homework on their phone.
The school emails homework!
That's why the next generation are unable to live without them, they don't know a world without.

Let's face it, you can talk to it now. Which again I don't.

It's not just phones, you can set a reminder on the TV. It switches itself on. That's puzzling if you've forgot what you set (old age creeping in)

My dvd player remembers where I was when I turned it off! I should recall this myself to be honest.

I'm sure I am missing out on some stuff. On the other hand I prefer not to be welded to the damn thing unable to switch it off. We live in beautiful places with a lovely big wide world to enjoy. Compensation for not being able to Poke your Facechat or whatever unless you're at home

LOVE this ^^ 'Poke your facechat' is the BEST saying I've ever heard, LOL, thank you I love it!
I don't think you are missing out on anything really, I have a smart phone, what do I do with it? Well I make phone calls and I text and occasionally have a quick look on NR, I don't bank on it or play any games (the time would be nice) if I want directions I dig out a map, if I want to take photo's I use a camera and if I want to play games .... well I'll leave that to your imagination. ;)

Bloody frustrating though @Wally buying it and then not being able to use it!

I guess because I don't have a laptop, computer or ipad etc, I will use my phone where people use the above.

newrider.com