that was one bug ugly horse!!!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
OMG! Poor mare, grossly underweight, very grumpy, especially when being tacked up, nappy going out the gate, awful conformation, neck like a skinny giraffe, head the size of an elephant, very little muscle, looks at everything, very sad eye....the list is endless........here she is I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpecstMuhI

She was left by German owner in care of a friend, the French lady who has her now (very international this isnt it?) went to check her 2 months ago and found her starving and rugless in a field!:devil: So she brought her back to her yard and the German owner has agreed to a new home being found for her. She has been wormed and has increasedf in weight since being rescued but has little muscle obviously and needs a lot more poundage before you could really work on the muscle problem.

Definitely dont want to buy her as she is - BUT feel stupidly guilty for not having her:rolleyes: Said I will think about it - and thoughts are, shall I see if she would let her come to Cortrasna LWVTB? If I gave her until the middle of summer would be enough to see some improvement and deal with anything like worming, possible gastric ulcers (?) and gradually build her muscles up, back checked, teeth done etc? And then find I have a raving lunatic on my hands?

Have I lost the plot on this one do you think?:redface::bounce:

I dunno, i quite like her! i was expecting something horrendous! i don't think you've lost the plot at all for considering her :p

I wouldn't say the mare in the vid was underweight, under muscled and looks like a fairly large head but she has a decent belly on her?

when I read your post - i was expecting her to look a lot worse than she actually does but maybe in the flesh she appears worse? Am another one who actually quite likes the look of her:wink: and if you could take her on lwvtb then, no I dont think you've lost the plot at all.:smile:

:smile:

i think that it needs a bit of work doing on it you havent said how old it is
get some top line on and get its head in and build some top on its neck,
and then work on getting its hind legs to work under it
with some time spent on it you could find a nice animal
i didnt think it was too underweight i dont think it would have looked too bad if it wasnt so u necked

Last edited:
I too didnt think she was under weight - she lacks muscle at back end and neck but not underweight :)

I also think her head would balance out once she had some neck muscle.

How did she ride? And are they asking over the odds...?

I don't think she looks too bad weight wise,personally I would rather see a horse like that than overweight,although maybe in the flesh she looks worse than can see in the pics??

I can see what you mean about the neck/head thing,but am assuming as she muscled up a bit that might change and she might look a bit more in proportion,hopefully anyway as that head does look a bit big for her lol

I guess whether or not to take her on comes down to do you think she will make a suitable riding horse for you,or do you just want to rescue her?? If the latter than walk away,I know it's hard,but this horse shopping is supposed to be all about you to make up for having to part with the lovely JJ,you need to be a bit more selfish as awful as that sounds!!

Actually OH and I both said the photos actually make her look considerably better weight wise than she actually is. In the flesh she is all belly (worms or what I dunno?) and big boned legs and a very pronounced spine.

I agree PF - her head would probably shrink a bit if I could get some muscle on her neck.

Borderdragon - would be a miracle if you could get her back legs working underneath her - the conformation is stacking the odds against her in that department - same as working on the bit and bringing the head down and in - would be a lot of work needed there - dont think anybody has ever asked her to go on the bit! :unsure:

think the rest of you must be as daft as I am......:redface::bounce:

I don't think she is that bad. There is a lot of room for improvement, but put some muscle on her bum, neck and abs and I think she will look good. Plus behavior wise, presumably she has not been worked with for some time. She might well improve her personality with some TLC. If you do loan agree a price now as she may well be worth more money when you have put the time and effort into her. I would say loan and see how you get on, she might grow on you :wink:

Sorry - forgot to say - she rides quite nicely, a bit banana'ish going up the road - but not spooky just being very nosey over the hedges etc. walked through the big flood puddle no probs. Tried to nap a bit when first coming out the gate but was easily pushed on. Didnt feel nervous so that must mean something!:smile:

I really like the look of her. Photos can be very deceiving. When I got my dog Monty, he was skin and bone and my dad took some photos of him, they really did not highlight his poor condition.

I think lwvtb is a great idea and you should definately consider it.

That said, do you think she could genuinely be the plod you are looking for or do you simply feel sorry for her? If it's the latter, I think you need to walk away.

Good luck in deciding what to do. I really hope she is the one! :biggrin:

hmm...skinny but with big belly...not pregnant is she!?

I too was expecting a much worse horse when I clicked on the link. She's not that terrible, looks like she needs plenty of work but not as terrible as you described.

My only concern would be that there would be the risk of her getting some decent condition on her and turning out to be a fizzy horse. You never can tell when they're so poor

Have you thought about what she might be like though once you have built her up and fed her up? Might she not turn into a different girl? That's what would concern me.

But if you felt safe on her then I appreciate how that would mean a lot to you!

Oh just go for it, you only live once and you don't want to be asking yourself what if? in a few months time. LWVTB sounds a good idea!

She looks lovely to me.

She isnt fuggly shes lovely, if they would let you have on lwvtb then I would go for it, however I would want to make sure they dont let you do all the work then pull her from under you because she looks good and they could then sell her for more.

OR

Buy her cheap and if it doesnt work out retire her or if she is in poor health ongoing pts - not nice but saves her being passed around ??

How are things with JJ ?? I wish you were back in Norfolk so I could convince you to let me pay you in instalments for him.

She isnt fuggly shes lovely, if they would let you have on lwvtb then I would go for it, however I would want to make sure they dont let you do all the work then pull her from under you because she looks good and they could then sell her for more.

OR

Buy her cheap and if it doesnt work out retire her or if she is in poor health ongoing pts - not nice but saves her being passed around ??

How are things with JJ ?? I wish you were back in Norfolk so I could convince you to let me pay you in instalments for him.

Going to go with offering loan home with a view to buy - but price to be agreed now, before I transform her I think!

Friend is flying over next month to spend a few days trying JJ - if you knew how little Im asking her for him you probably wouldnt even need to pay by instalments !!!:smile: Home has become first priority with him - couldnt sleep at nights otherwise!:redface: If she cant find somewhere suitable to keep him etc. will let you know huh?:bounce:

Going to go with offering loan home with a view to buy - but price to be agreed now, before I transform her I think!

Friend is flying over next month to spend a few days trying JJ - if you knew how little Im asking her for him you probably wouldnt even need to pay by instalments !!!:smile: Home has become first priority with him - couldnt sleep at nights otherwise!:redface: If she cant find somewhere suitable to keep him etc. will let you know huh?:bounce:

Thats great news! I hope she is everything you are looking for :biggrin:

I'm pleased to hear that JJ may have a new home soon too. It all seems to be coming together :dance:

newrider.com