That Magnesium stuff ! *update*

Siogfinsceal

nature abhors normality
Figured I should update now that I have used it for a while. :D

Thanks to Curly Wurly Rach and Yann for recommending it. :)

I don't like herbal or chemical calmers as I feel they can affect a horses performance and take away personality(ive taken valerian to help me sleep and I dont want my horse that dozy!).

Looking on here at a list CWR put up of magnesium deficiency symptoms I was shocked to see how many were like my horse - over anxiousness, excessive sweating, twitching, anxiety. Twitching as in swinging head v violently to the left with no warning and sweating as in to the point of losing weight. So when I started to get her back into work after her injury I started her on a magnesium supplement. the result? Thankfully shes still her hyper quirky little self but she seems much more foccused.

-we now hack out once a week and I have control. while she looks at things she doesnt have her usual overreacting racehorse moments
-She used to be on electrolyte everyday. has not been on them since we started magnesium and has not been sweating excessively
- clipped last week. Only took 6ml (as oppsoed to 10) of sedalin, allowed us to twitch her to do her face and stood still and calm
- has put on weight and eats her food everyday (on fenugreek too to increase her appetite)
- walked quietly past a group of lads playign football in the local EC without having a strop
- we are getting along much better when riding and flatwork has improved loads as shes listening much more

travelling to a show this weekend and next so fingers crossed this will also help her to be calmer in the box the poor thing is a terrible traveller even with me crawling along. :eek:

Thanks for reading, I v happy :D L

That's brill, sounds like it's working :) Isn't the web great for finding stuff out:D

I started sceptically Joy on Magnesium Oxide last month and she will remain on it. There is a big difference and I am pleased with the results :)

newrider.com