Thank you Buddy and Suze

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Not many horses you can jump on after 3 months off, take out on the road, meet a tractor with a big bale out on front and not freak out. Buddy was brilliant. We had a half hour plod around the lanes and he felt very good, sound, happy. My brilliant old boy.

Suze did a little bit of schooling on the yard just head dropping, shoulder reining in and out and around obstacles, backing up and then released to gallop up the field to join her mate. She hasn't forgotten anything in her time off either.

Thanks both of you for being such good horses.

Not many horses you can jump on after 3 months off, take out on the road, meet a tractor with a big bale out on front and not freak out. Buddy was brilliant. We had a half hour plod around the lanes and he felt very good, sound, happy. My brilliant old boy.

Suze did a little bit of schooling on the yard just head dropping, shoulder reining in and out and around obstacles, backing up and then released to gallop up the field to join her mate. She hasn't forgotten anything in her time off either.

Thanks both of you for being such good horses.
That's great! Good boy Buddy and Suze. Zizi is pretty good after having time off - I am always so grateful for that.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
A picture of Buddy in a previous home, pity about him being over bent and in draw reins.....he now carries his head long and low himself

View attachment 105240
I don't know a lot about draw reins - other than you need to be able to use them correctly. But it's nice that you have a picture from his old home isn't it? I don't have any of ours - (they are all too old and it's so long ago now - apart from Zi, I could always ask as I do keep in touch.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I don't know a lot about draw reins - other than you need to be able to use them correctly. But it's nice that you have a picture from his old home isn't it? I don't have any of ours - (they are all too old and it's so long ago now - apart from Zi, I could always ask as I do keep in touch.
Nearly all of them are him working with his head between his knees with a lot of gear on him. When I went to see him, he was ridden very nag nag nag quite rough. I took him out for a hack, checked he turned and halted and would go back if asked didn't get out of walk with him Could tell he was obedient and that was enough. The first few weeks he was so fussy in his mouth, always grabbing the bit stretching all the time. He never does it now even when he is a wally on a hunt ride. He hates having his mouth touched even on the ground, always afraid that he's going to have his mouth tied shut. He used to go on 3-4 hours common riding in a flash, done up tight. When he is ridden here, he does a lot of yawning, stretching he loves having his mouth free.

So nice that he can move now as nature intended!
he's certainly as nature intended him today, soaking wet feathers, soaked rug, but warm underneath, just come in for his supper. Up to him, he can wander in and out of 7 stables, pig himself on hay or go back out and pig himself on the hay in the field. In the morning he listens for the kitchen door and if he hears it he is on the yard waiting!

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
he's certainly as nature intended him today, soaking wet feathers, soaked rug, but warm underneath, just come in for his supper. Up to him, he can wander in and out of 7 stables, pig himself on hay or go back out and pig himself on the hay in the field. In the morning he listens for the kitchen door and if he hears it he is on the yard waiting!
Lol Mr Zi listens for me going into the garage and comes and stands at the back / side door. And everyone knows when we are "up" because the central heating is put on and you can hear the boiler and see the steam at the back.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com