Testing the emergency brakes

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
So I was out hacking this morning. We'd had a fairly fast hack and were heading to the village down a steep bridle path which eventually merges with someone's drive.

At the point the path and drive merge the house is right there on the left with a metal gate into the back garden. It's always closed but today it was open. Ziggy was quite alert from lots of trot and canter so he pricked his ears at the gate.

Just as we got to it the most tremendous clatter and crash erupted! Ziggy snorted, jumped sideways and set off down the very steep track at a brisk clip. I sat down hard and said firmly, "Whoa Ziggy, Whoa!"

He whoaed - after about 3 strides of canter, right next to the van of the plumber who presumably had just dropped his tool box. Ziggy was shivering, but he stopped stock still and whickered for his treat. I gave him his treat, he stopped shivering, and on we went.

I LIKE my emergency brakes! I didn't even need to pull on the reins...

I have a one rein stop which I have had to use twice now. The first time we got chased back onto the yard by two dogs, second time was yesterday.
She puts herself into slight flex every time we stop, I did have an instructor tell me to lose that and it was a shame she did it. Not when she partly sits down and fires herself out the gun, you need a one reiner!

To go that one step further j@z have you the emergency dismount? I learnt that first when doing side saddle and it just made sense that in some cases sitting quietly gets you squashed.

Ha ha, when I tried the emergency dismount last year (from bareback) I fell forwards under his feet and he stepped on me!

But I know how to do better next time - fling myself backwards to counteract his forward movement ;)

Reactions: newforest
newrider.com