Tendon boots for jumping

Sunshine

May 25, 2020
Chesterfiled
We have owned our lad since feb.. our first horse... my 10year old has been having weekly lesson on him and they are progressing so well I love watching the partnership grow.. she loves popping a little jump with him and this is his favourite thing... now these little jumps are growing from raised trot poles to 50cm last week to bounce jumps yesterday.. so I need to think about tendon boots for my boy if these jumps are getting higher and more often.. what sort are recommended ?
He did lots of jumping with his previous owners and I noticed on her old pics he had them on...

Attachments

• 2F18F31B-EFD7-41C4-AE98-C3D746AD10D5.png
    2F18F31B-EFD7-41C4-AE98-C3D746AD10D5.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 8
I think you'll struggle to get them to fit over all that feather!

Tendon boots are there to protect a horse if it strikes into the tendons of it's front legs with it's back feet. Since they are rigid down the back the fit is important or you'll end up with rubs and pressure points. I would say that with the heights he's jumping you really don't need them, he isn't going to be putting in that degree of athletic effort that he's likely to do that sort of injury, indeed a lot of the time I see them I think they're more of a fashion accessory. If you really want to put something on I'd go for some soft brushing boots, but realistically his own feather is going to give him a good degree of protection from a light glancing blow.

Reactions: Sunshine and Jessey
Boots shouldn't be needed unless the horse interferes (hits one leg/foot with another) and that's pretty small jumps so as Carthorse said, he's unlikely to change his normal motion.

Reactions: Sunshine
I agree about the feather - hard to get something round that - I wouldn't have a hope with Hogan!

newrider.com