Tell your horse or ponies story!!

chubbypony

Official Pony Cuddler
Jan 17, 2004
The Frigid North(MN,USA)
Visit site
I would like everyone to meet my horse and pony.

Rashad is a 24 year old Arabian gelding. Rashad is my hero horse. I paid next to nothing for him, because he was a "dud". He was a wild eyed terror when I got him-people thought he was a stallion. He soon became an awesome calm trail horse and show horse. He has won against $10K horses and I have been offered big $ for him many times. Now that he is older he enjoys his retirement from shows, but still loves to explore the trail.

Dollie is a 2 year old(almost 3) mini shetland. I brought her home in our van from a "dump" farm. She was skinny and filthy. We cleaned her up and babied her. Now Dollie is just my putz pony. We play and build snowman and all sorts of stuff. Rashad thinks we are weird. You can see it on his face.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures I took today of my babies!!

This thread is for everyone to post a picture of their horse or pony and tell
their stories.

Attachments

• Internet Dolloe.jpg
    Internet Dolloe.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Internet Rashad.gif
    Internet Rashad.gif
    44.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Well I have Maddie who is a 16.3hh chestnut TB ex-racer mare. She started racing when she was rising 5, mostly did hurdles and did a few national hunt races, she then tweeked her tendon so became a broodmare, she had 3 foals, 2 geldings and a filly, one of the gelding I have seen and he is 17.2hh and 2 years old! :eek: She went to another stud to have her last foal (the 17.2) and then they couldn't get her back in foal so they were going to shoot her, my ex-boss was looking round the stud as she breeds TBs and bought her. They brought her back into work and did a few fun rids and mostly hacking and she even taught a friend of theirs to ride. She then didn't do much with her and she was given to me, she was very thin and looked like a neglect case :(
She is now alot better and happier, she has stopped being so naggy and actually walks on hacks, but she still spins round in circles when you try to get on :rolleyes:

Here is her picture

Attachments

• maddie-hunting.jpg
    maddie-hunting.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi your horse and pony are nice
I own Cassie, she is a 13hh 6year old welsh sec b pony. I have now owned her since last august,I bought her from my riding school were i rode for about £550 inc tack as she was not really a riding school pony, so since id been riding her since she was broken in (only me that was so she was very unfit!) i was allowed her:) Now she is alot better, dosnt pull at all, apart from when jumping and is a great pony!! Not long ago someone asked me if they could buy her and said that they will give me whatever i want for her, but i will never sell her as im too attached and love her so much! Last October she got colic and a hoof injury which ment she had to be kept in for about 5weeks to recover and then i could start riding her again, I mainly do hacking (as we both enjoy it) and some jumping and i take her to a few local shows and crosscourtys. Everyone recongnises ehr when we hack out as she is always has something pink on! My firend calls her the pink panther!
Anyway sorry for writing soo much, you must be all bored now!
Here is a pic of her:
cassie.jpg

That sounds neat. I trained Dollie all myself too(driving though, not riding). It was pretty fun and interesting. She is quite the handful. Your little one looks like one of the "smart" ones. I'll bet she comes up with some pony tricks once in awhile.

I think that ponies are the best. Sometimes they seem just soooo human. It scares me sometimes. :p

long

LOVED seeing the pictures of the ponies and the horses! LOL if i could i'd take that one and that one and that one!
here is a picture of my poa nadie (prounounced na-dee). i bought her as a four year old that was barely halter trained, she led you IF she choose to and if not then she didn't go. she wouldn't allow anyone to touch her and a necessary visit from the vet and blacksmith was pure H##L.
i taught her a game that we call "touch the booger". i started with simple things like a feed bucket and would tell her to touch the booger. of course she'd check out the bucket for feed and after she touched the empty bucket i would give her a bite of apple and tell her to let the booger touch her. when she did she got another bite of apple. it didn't take long until she was willing to touch and be touched by anything i told her was just a booger!
my black smith was amazed when he came and she started her rearing and backing stuff and i told her "he's just a booger, touch the booger" and she did. then told her to let the booger touch her and she did. made an amazing difference. she likes this game so much she'll go and look for boogers herself if i'm out there. we were once a hundred ft. of a tree that was being cut down and it didn't faze her. when the tree hit the ground i had to stop her cause she wanted to go touch it and claim it was a booger.
once out on the trails we came up on a biker. he stopped and she started determinely toward him. scared the poor guy to death and he put his bike between himself and her. i explained the booger thing to him and told him she just wanted to touch him. LOL he was really relieved and said that she could touch him. i didn't think his heart could take it so said we'd pass. i've had a lot of fun with this game and it's really made a neat horse. something scarey now she looks to me and i whisper "it's a booger" and she's fine with it, whatever it is.
patty

Attachments

• nadie.jpg
    nadie.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 24
much like that i guess. only thing sometimes i wonder if i've gone too far.
it's unreal some of the things she wants to touch!! a pig!! running tractors, etc. i'm afraid she'll find a snake and touch it one day. she still doesn't like for other's to handle her but allows it if they are "boogers" so it's really useful... :) and it's fun.

That is different

Herman, that's different, but it sounds like it did the trick. I might try it on my baby. She gets frightened when she has to go out on trail alone. She is deathly afraid of squirrels.*Jaws soundtrack plays softly in the background* I wonder if I could use your method to help her with that.

My baby wasn't halter broken either when I got her and hated the farrier, vet and anyone who messed with her. When they came the first time after I had her she reared and shied away from them. I have been working with her for about a year or so now. When the vet came out this time she let him lay under her to look at a growth on her tummy(she's a mini, so this isn't what you would do normally). She didn't even flinch. When the farrier came to do her hooves she literally fell asleep on top of him. He thought he would let her fall over to wake her up and she just laid down and kept on sleeping. LOL! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. He didn't know what to make of it. He scratched his head and looked at me. I just woke her up and asked her to get up. She did a little of the lip smacking and got back up. She is such a character. Now I just keep popping her carrots to keep her awake during the farrier.

i don't see why in the world it wouldn't work for you. you'd have to be creative on things like squirrels, scurrying things but shouldn't be too hard.
i'm picturing a small stuffed animal tied to a string, you're standing with your pony and the string is run around a tree so that when you pull the string the stuffed animal will "scurry"! string over a branch should cause the booger to climb a tree!! LOL FUN! remember to start very very small. maybe show her your critter first, have the critter on the ground and y'all walk up to it, etc.
if you do it let me know how it goes.
patty

I would need a helper

The problem is I would need a helper. We need to go out to the woods. It's actually the sound of the squirrel running in the leaves that scares her. A stuffed toy with someone to move it through the woods might work. Now I just need someone who wouldn't laugh me out of town. It does sound kind of silly from a nonhorsey view point.

newrider.com