Tell me about rubber matting

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
I know there was a thread recently about rubber matter so sorry for any over lap...

I bought some cheap, thin rubber matting at the end of the last winter/early spring while Roxy was still in at night but it's started to fall apart already so I'm looking to purchase some proper, new, quality matting to last me (hopefully!) forever (or near enough).

But because they're fairly expensive I want to make sure I buy the right thing - and I feel I know next to nothing about them.

I have a 12'x12' stable & a 15.3 gypsy cob (if it makes any difference!) At the moment I have two mats at the front of the stable so the shavings only cover maybe 3/4 of the inside of the stable - happy to change this if necessary though!

All advice is most welcome! :smile:

For a 12 x 12ft stable you will need at least 6 sheets (standard size is 6' x 4' or 1800mm x 1200mm)

I am a big fan of EVA matting - it is so much lighter and easier to handle than rubber matting, is warmer over winter and a lot 'softer'. The only problem is that it can't be used with studded shoes (even road studs seem to cause problems) and if your horse paws the ground it will suffer too.

Ive bought rubber matting, simply as I wanted it quickly and I didnt want to pay extortionate delivery.

Its abou 1" thick, and 6x4ft and been fab.

EVA is light and easy to cut to size compared to rubber, but it is more expensive. Anything half decent will do the job though, the rubber mats I have in one of my stables have been there for 8 years now and look as good as the day they arrived :)

Sorry to drag this back up again!

Can I ask those who have rubber mats where they got theirs (online, tack shop, country store and such like) and how much you paid?

Do you have it on the entire floor in the stable or just a couple of mats in a particular place?

Thanks! :biggrin:

I got the whole place rubber matted about 16-17 years ago, the cows and the horses. I bought the heavy weight rubber mats, takes 2 men to lift them, but they are still going strong without any signs of wear at all.

There are a few of us at the yard I am in put the mats at the front (3) and have shavings at the back, we bought them from Burgess's (near us) not a specific horse shop more of a animal feed/etc stockist and they were about £30 each, very heavy mats, not easy to move around once they are down lol. None of us have mats filling completely the stable. All in all there are about 15 stables.

I have EVA mats from Easimat. So far they have worn well and so light and easy to move!

I ordered them over the phone and paid £234 for 6 mats measuring 6x4 each (filled 12x12 stable).

Easimat have their own website and also sell on ebay, but I got a better price by phoning and ordering :biggrin:

I feel a bit of a plank asking such questions - but....

For those who have had their stable full laid out with mats do you put a full bed of shavings on top, or just a thin layer to soak up mess?

I was initially thinking of just getting 12' x 4' to put at the front but I'm guessing I'm not going to save much in the way of shavings (long term) this way....?

ETA: Easimat have an offer on at the mo of £228.94 (not inc VAT) for 6 mats which will cover a 12' x 12' area...

Last edited:
newrider.com