teaching leg yield

Will he do it with you on the ground?

I always start with the over command until I can touch them with a hand and they move over, then move on to leg yield with a bridle while you walk alongside.

Build up to 'over' while ridden then think about keeping him parallel to the wall/fence ( start fairly close so it acts as a 'magnet') and feeing and activating the inside hind leg as it starts to rise while thinking of the saddle moving toward the wall.

I just started teaching Cyrus this couple weeks ago, with my RI, we started with turns on the forehand before Xmas though and once he was doing those well we started leg yielding.

The turns on forehand really helped him get used to moving off my leg on both reins properly so was good foundation for leg yielding.

For leg yielding break it down into steps of each aid you have to give and start doing off just doing it in walk. Big pats if he does it right. Helpful to have someone on the ground watching to make sure back end isn't swinging out and stuff like that.

I started it on the ground stepping over from pressure of your hand and turn on the forehands then in the saddle with turn on the forehands.

My instructor gets me to ride up the three quarter line then ask to step over with inside leg while using outside leg to keep hindquarters from swinging out and can open outside hand to guide them over and he if find it hard to stay straight he asks me to leg yield a few strides them ride straight then leg yield again and so on.

newrider.com