TC update, vet out again....

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
First of all I am soooooo lucky with my vet!! I changed to him in the summer as someone recommended him as being open-minded. I had been totally ragged by my previous vet because TC was barefoot - he kept coming out with all kinds of codswallop such as "it's the old adage hoof follow metal" :confused: and "if horses didn't need shoes why did we invent them?" :mad:

Anyway, I switched practice and M is fab. Not only does he *listen* to me, but he liases with my EP (I'm hugely lucky there too as I have Trevor Jones) and listens to him and even attended on trim day so he could meet my EP and chat in person.

So, following TC still trotting up lame on Sunday I called M to update him and he said that he'd pop out for another look and this time he'd do an x-ray just to rule out anything else. It's all on insurance now anyway, so I'd rather throw everything at it before his leg gets excluded.

My youngest son (6yrs old) was off yesterday with an (alleged) tummy ache (it transpires it was, in fact, schoolitis :rolleyes: ) and M was so good with him, chatting away and even giving him a spare x-ray of a horses knee for him to take to school.

Anyway, I digress :rolleyes: - TC was sedated and the x-rays were taken, and luckily all normal - except for the coincidental finding of some mild ringbone on the pastern joint - M says in a fine Arab this might cause concern but in a heavy horse like TC is very normal and nothing to worry about.

So, between us M and I packed the abscess hole and he left me with some Sedalin so I can re-pack when necessary without it being a huge battle. TC did (typically) trot up better yesterday.

So, although sore, he seems to be (touch wood) slowly improving, it's almost a month from abscess popping day :blink: so hasn't been that long really.

Fingers-crossed it heals without further complications - I am, of course, desperate to ride just because I can't!!

Your vet sounds fab :) I'm glad that the x-rays showed no problems. I can relate to how frustrating abcesses can be though, martini had a bad one a couple of years back and was out of work for 6 weeks. Sending healing vibes to TC!

Great update, vet sounds like a real find. Good news that the x-rays were clear, Hope he heals up soon.

You definitely sound like the vet you have is of the caring sort and not the 'in it for the money' sort :) xx Fingers crossed xx

Poor TC, glad there aren't any more involved problems though, best to rule it out while you can :eek:
Sarah, was that you and TC in this months Your Horse mag?

newrider.com