TC abscess update, vet & EP out today....

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
As you may remember TC came in crippled on 14th December and the vet diagnosed an abscess. On 20th he was still no better so the vet came out again and this time something "popped", blood flew everywhere and he's been much, much better on that leg since, but not sound.

TC has a hole about 1/2" across that leads to a large cone shaped cavity and the area where the blood & pus was is about half way up the hoof. Obviously, keeping this clean and free from further infection is going to be a challenge - particularly as TC is *very* unco-operative about me faffing with that hoof - even the vet has to sedate him each time he examines him.

Today my EP was due and as my vet is fabulously open-minded he asked to be there too so they could discuss the next step. The vet really thinks that the way forward is hoof wall debridement to tackle the problem which would definately mean a return to shoes in front for a while at least - something I am keen to avoid as TC has come so far since his shoes came off in April.

However, he was very happy to listen to my EP and has agreed that we try the EP's regime first which is to Cleantrax and plug the hole.

So, after they had gone I set to with the dreaded blue boot - unfortunately the sedation was very light and I had to stand there holding the boot and he periodically paced round in a semi-circle on the end of his rope, breaking the baling twine and twice standing on the boot and nearly sloshing the lot over the floor.

At the end of this I came over all queer and dizzy and thought I was going to faint under the hooves of a marching Suffolk. Interestingly, TC seemed to notice this and stood still while I hung on to him. Feels a bit like labyrynthitis, went to GP who says it's probably because I was stood holding boot, horse was stressing me and I hadn't eaten - I'm not convinced as I still feel a bit woozy.

Anyway, I digress - I then had to plug the hole - ideally this would be antimicrobial gel or the Pioneer balm and a strip of gauze but as TC is such an @rse with that foot EP & vet have told me to use cotton wool and Stockholm Tar as it's gloopy and will stick itself in when TC snatches his hoof and slams it down. EP reckons we will have to plug for weeks TC will have to come in at night for the rest of the winter until the ground dries out a bit.

So, fingers-crossed that Cleantrax has zapped any nasties still lurking in the cavity and that the plug will keep any others out.

I'm glad things are looking better, fingers crossed all is well very soon! xx

Gosh he is a monkey isn't he:)

I hope that the treatment works!!!

***'s an EP???

Nikki xxxx

:( On Sarah!!! What a to-do for you! And possibly for the rest of the winter too.....

I hope your wooziness is nothing serious too hun

Fingers crossed he gets better quickly. Might be a good opportunity to work on his issue with picking his feet up.

An EP = Equine Podiatrist. Someone who is KC La Pierre trained to perform a high performance trim on horses hooves.

Fingers crossed he gets better quickly. Might be a good opportunity to work on his issue with picking his feet up.

He doesn't normally have issues with picking his feet up, he is a little reluctant, but nothing that asking twice won't deal with - I just think he is fed up with all the faffing and of course it has been very sore.

I remember the dreaded soaking boot from Merrick's barefoot episode! He was a bit of a monkey too - there weren't any nasties anywhere on *my* lower legs by the time he'd finished sloshing around :D
How nice that TC knew you needed support and stood still for you while you were dizzy :) But a bit worrying if you are still feeling odd now. Take it easy for the rest of tonight won't you? And go hassle your GP again if you don't feel any better soon.
Hope all goes well with TC :)

What a pain in the backside ! (Or the hoof ! .. Sorry bad joke couldnt resist :eek: :D )

I hope it clears up soon and the nasties have been blasted with the Cleantrax !

What causes abscesses in the first place ? :)

Oooo..with you every step of the way as one of my bunch went terribly lame on christmas eve and was diagnosed with a gravel and abscess. I have been standing her foot in a tub of hot salt water rather than a boot. She is improving but looks as if she might have one in the other hoof. We poor some hydrogen peroxide in the hole to kill any nasties.

Do hope yours is sound soon.

Gosh he is a monkey isn't he

Not a monkey! I'd say a fully grown male, (orange !!;) ) orang-utan! Monkeys come in smaller, easier to control packages!

Oh dear, sounds like we are having a similar time :-(

JAckson had the abscess back end November, then a flare up in early December. Hole in sole size of a 10p piece :eek: Vet said sole very underrun and pared enthusaistically.

After the farrier banged the shoe back on, abscess returned. Having lost confidence in farrier, enlisted EP and pulled all shoes (which I intended to do anyway but when ground dried up).

All was well till New Year's Eve, when he hobbled back in from the field sore on both back feet. I'm poulticing again on advice of EP but he's much better today (ran around like a loon when I let him out for 10 minutes so obviously not sore).

He used to be an angel with feet (well, was becoming an angel in the 5 weeks between purchase and abscess :rolleyes: ), but on vet's first visit when he pulled his sore foot away sharply she whacked him with her shoe puller and he started to kick every time anyone went near his foot. Vet said he needed to learn not to pull foot away :mad: I can think of many ways of teaching him that would not have involved him kicking out every time I tried to poultice. I have worked hard with the clicker and he is back to being good 98% of the time and was good with the EP (well, not bad) and allowed me to poultice tonight. New poulticing technique - soak foot in bucket for 10 mins (clicker helped with this too), then have hot animalintex ready sitting inside nappy. Pick foot out of bucket and plonk it down straight on to nappy. Tape nappy around fetlock with duct tape, then evelop whole foot with duct tape already prepared. There is no way he would stand now to allow me to fiddle about with vetwrap, so although not ideal, this method is not too bad.

I'll keep an eye out for your updates - do hope TC is feeling better soon and that you were just dizzy from leaning down too long (it's hard on the back too).

newrider.com