Talking of clipping who doesn't do it?

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
Just wondering?

C had a chaser clip last year as he was very overweight, very unfit and therefore getting very sweaty.

The clipping process was horrendous and we ended up twitching him and even then he was still a brat - (lots of kicking/barging/rearing - and that was me paying someone to do it!)

This year I don't have that option and I'm thinking of taking the "lets wait and see" approach as he has lost the weight and is much fitter and although he'll still be working in the winter it will either be less often or for shorter periods.

He'll also be stabled overnight which allows me plenty of time to dry him off before rugging him up for the night.

So who else doesn't clip and why?

same as you did, she's a little overweight and quite unfit, will probs get a chaser too:)

i dont clip mines as she dosnet seem to get to hot. I do work her quite hard. But sweating for her has never been a problem. And she has to live out 24/7 and dont want her getting cold.

I dont clip, because to be honest hes not in enough work, and he gets freezing as it is, and by the time i have finshed making his tea and haynets for the night hes dryed off :)

I only clip if i really have to (probably will this year as he will be in quite hard work all winter) and if you have time to dry off it doesn't matter too much- i often rug up with coolers on underneath other rugs if needed. they always seem to dry off fine by morning and don't get chilly!

i often rug up with coolers on underneath other rugs if needed. they always seem to dry off fine by morning and don't get chilly!
That's what I tend to do too - stick one of the coolers on him for half an hour while I finish sorting his stable, by then it's wicked off most of the sweat and I just stick another one on him and pop a LW stable rug on him if it's really cold.

I'm hoping that now that he's a lot fitter he won't get so sweaty.

my old git doesn't do clipping, after over 10 years trying to desensitise him i gave up. he needs £90 of sedation to do it and he's such a git to get the needle in that last time he got an abscess on the injection site on his throat and nearly died from choke. i rug him a bit earlier and his workload scales down in winter so he doesn't sweat up too much and lose condition.

We clip as much as needed, last year most horses had a bib clip and ponies nothing, the year before ponies had bib clips and horses much more. Really depends on the weather, how thick coats are etc.

Clipping shouldn't be a scary experience, most of ours act just as if they are being groomed ( we are very fussy about quiet clippers and sharp blades!). The odd one will throw themselves about/on the ground, best thing is to quietly carry on clipping, twitches tend to make matters worse.

Clipping shouldn't be a scary experience, most of ours act just as if they are being groomed ( we are very fussy about quiet clippers and sharp blades!). The odd one will throw themselves about/on the ground, best thing is to quietly carry on clipping, twitches tend to make matters worse.

I'm planning on doing some desensitisation work over the coming month using clicker training as I do not want to twitch and would prefer not to sedate him (hence why I'm hoping to avoid having to clip at all)

Don't stress about it, we have 36 horses/ponies on the yard and have clipped them all, never had to sedate any or use restraint techniques.

Get sharp, quiet clippers, get the horse sparling clean so there is no drag on the blades and just get on with the job.

Approach it as 'I will take off bib', thats fine lets do chaser, then blanket, then hunter etc.

Don't do what I did on my first attempt, classic blanket on one side then horse lost the plot :D:D

Don't stress about it, we have 36 horses/ponies on the yard and have clipped them all, never had to sedate any or use restraint techniques.

Get sharp, quiet clippers, get the horse sparling clean so there is no drag on the blades and just get on with the job.

Approach it as 'I will take off bib', thats fine lets do chaser, then blanket, then hunter etc.

Don't do what I did on my first attempt, classic blanket on one side then horse lost the plot :D:D

Thanks - I do worry a little as the last time I even brought the clippers out to get him used to them he turned into a wild beast - even my Y/O who is generally game for anything said that she would not feel happy clipping him as despite being the most chilled horse you could meet, when he does explode he can be very scary. My friends got a pair of super quiet cordless clippers so I'm hoping that this may be easier for him to handle than the massive industrial type ones we tried before!

clipping

I dont clip mine at all he does get very sweaty and is in alot of work. But Ive found ways to help keep him well worked without getting him too hot ie I ride bareback in the winter alot and spend alot of time cooling him down after riding. After he got his freeze mark and seeing his reaction to just a rectangle been clipped I knew then and there clipping was not an option. Plus he dosent wear rugs so I dont think it would be fair to expect him to stay out all year clipped without rugs. But like I said just vary how you work and take into account you may have to do alot of walking to help cool down :D

Worth mentioning that Torchy Pony has to be fully clipped (because of his Cushings - I havent really lost the plot clipping an unworked shettie). He used to be twitched but now he's pretty much got used to it and doesnt really bother. The odd time he might get a bit antsy but I just put the twitch on and once I get started I can take it back off and he's fine.

Even if you are having to twitch, he may still get used to it and settle down.

EML, remember you can only see one side of a horse at a time:D. Just make sure no one views you front on or back on!! (can you tell I've been there too:D).

And finally, remember the difference between a good clip and a bad clip is only a couple of weeks!!!!

I have always went for hunter clips! My HW was always fit as a fiddle and he still grew a coat a mammoth would be proud of come september so I just took it all off left his legs face and a small saddle patch (learned the hard way about taking the hair off his back)

i did jrs armpits and belly one year, but clippers broke after i did one side so he just looked like he'd had an operation :eek::eek:

suffice to say i probably wont bother again!!:D

DSC00378.jpg

newrider.com