Talk about throwing it back in your face!!

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
As many of you will know, OH's family just bought his little sister a pony. Pony is 3 (next month), very lightly backed - sat on and lead in walk, but no concept of rein aids etc etc etc. They are paying for him on Tuesday, and planned to keep him at the same yard as my boys (buying him from YO) and I was to break him for them. Offered little sister one of my horses to potter about on while pony is only at walk stage (she has walked him round) and said she can do a few shows with my horse so she is still doing more than the pony is capable of at this time.

Now, today her mother has decided to keep it at a different yard. OH has told her that this will mean they have no help, and to cut a long story short a huge row ensued and he told her to get on with it.

I just feel a bit narked!! Schooling/breaking livery round here starts at £100 a week, and I was going to do it (and offer the use of my horse) for free! I have helped sort out insurance etc and said I will care for the pony when they can't get down (parents work shifts) to save them paying for full livery etc and said I would help them with pony every step of the way, taking it out to in hand shows and transporting them to local shows when pony is ready (they don't have a trailer). Anyone else think I am right to feel a bit like this has been thrown back in my face??

Oh, not a good situation, but at least its happened now rather than a few months down the road when you've put the effort in - that would feel like a bigger slap in the face I imagine.
The only thing I would say, not in their defence but possibly by way of explanation, is that they could be concerned about the lack of control they have over their own situation? I've sort of found myself in a place where I am dependent on someone else and its not a nice feeling so possibly some hurt pride? Egos are precious things:rolleyes::eek:

I see where you're coming from with the lack of control thing, but little sister is 11 and parents aren't horsey so its not like I have waltzed in and said "oh well I'll do this and that and the other".
Hopefully they will change their minds, even if only for the pony's sake!

If they are unhorsey, why do they want to try and break in a 3 year old? I would have thought they would be better off with an older pony who their daughter could ride and have fun on straight away? I'm sure that they have their reasons and to me it sounds like they want to do things their way without anyone 'telling them what to do'. If I were you, I would just try and offer advice where you can and try to ensure that the 11 year old is as safe as possible and has as much fun as she can. It's unfortunate that she is the one who will suffer if it doesn't go smoothly.

I see where you're coming from with the lack of control thing, but little sister is 11 and parents aren't horsey so its not like I have waltzed in and said "oh well I'll do this and that and the other".
Hopefully they will change their minds, even if only for the pony's sake!

Oh, hope I didn't come across like I thought thats what you've done. You have kindly offered to help but they probably don't know how much they don't know, hell I know I still need help but doesn't stop the concern about not being totally in charge of my situation. It can be a wee bit frustrating being at the mercy of others if they're the independent sort who don't like getting help. I hope it doesn't cause any upset between you, your OH and your future inlaws. Ultimately you just have to hope that the pony is well cared for.:eek:

Oh, hope I didn't come across like I thought thats what you've done. You have kindly offered to help but they probably don't know how much they don't know, hell I know I still need help but doesn't stop the concern about not being totally in charge of my situation. It can be a wee bit frustrating being at the mercy of others if they're the independent sort who don't like getting help. I hope it doesn't cause any upset between you, your OH and your future inlaws. Ultimately you just have to hope that the pony is well cared for.:eek:

I knew you meant no offence don't worry :eek:

OH's mother is rather....volatile shall we say? Hopefully she will see sense and change her mind.

Mary Poppins - they bought the pony with the plan in place that I would break it, alongside educating them in how to go about dealing with him. Mother is "horsey" to the extent that she can operate a fork and shovel to muck a box out, and shows an interest in daughter's interest, but has no knowledge of horses per say. Daughter is horsey and can ride but obviously totally unable to break a youngster alone.

It's not nice what they've done, but give them time, they might start to realize they've bitten off more than they can chew, and come back to you..

It's not nice what they've done, but give them time, they might start to realize they've bitten off more than they can chew, and come back to you..

absolutely agree. Let them dig their own hole. When things get tough then see who they come to ;)

newrider.com