Taking your horse to uni - anything positive?

Snow_Pony

Jul 19, 2007
Sussex
Dang I am in a state. I start a new degree at Hartpury in a couple of weeks, which is very exciting, but my poor little mare has had bad laminitis and is still recovering from rotated pedal bones. The last thing I want is to be saddled (sorry :rolleyes:) with the worry of supporting a pony while at uni, especially a sick one. But of course I cant sell or loan her right now, so I don't see any alternative. I've tried to keep any worries at the back of my mind over summer, but I'm weeks away now and kind of panicing at the thought of caring for my mare in addition to my degree and working. We have second xrays and farrier next week, and if she hasn't improved then the decision will be made for me. But if she is recovering well, which it seems she is, then she will have to come with me. I love her so much, she's 'the one' as far as I'm concerned, but I'm really worried that I won't be able to cope. I had quite bad depression for a while, and though I've beaten it and function well now (well for me anyway :p) I'm worried that too much stress and work could bring it back again. Does anybody have any positive experiences of taking their horse or pony with them to uni? Could really do with some happy endings.. thank you x

Last edited:
My YOs daughter is at Hartpury (starting her second year in Sept.) and she loves it :)

Sorry, nothing useful to add. :(

What degree are you doing? I did equine business management at hartpury and although it was a full time degree, I had time to work, look after my son (single parent), look after my horse and study as you didn't have many hours of lectures. There are lots of yards near to hartpury too, they dont get much turnout if you keep them at college.

Thanks horseygal90, thats good to know :)
Going to be starting Equine Dental Studies Foundation degree. She'll be liveried at a farm a couple of miles away from my accomodation, so will have all the turnout she can handle, which hopefully will be lots if we're careful

newrider.com