Take to the kennels / Drop off at the hunt??

doolally_tap

Jun 3, 2007
I've heard these expressions used before about horses which are ill / old / need to be PTS....... can someone please explain to me what they mean??

Sorry if the answer is blindingly obvious but I just don't have a clue??!

I was always under the impression the hunt would come and collect the horse ?

I'm all for my boy going to the hunt when that dreaded day comes, but no way in hell will he be PTS at the kennels ! :eek:

I'm not sure if they are still able to do it after th foot and mouth/BSE thing, but they used to feed the horse to the dog. A lot of people used it, because one it is cheaper than having them buried/cremated and two, people like the idea of their horse going with the hunt (well as much as you can 'like' something like that)

funny this should come up, I was talking to a lovey lady today and her pony was pts at her place and then the hunt came and got him

she said she'd rather that and know how he'd gone (ie on her property with her there), and she liked the idea of him being of use in some way after he'd gone

She clearly adored her pony - she was tearful telling me about how much she missed him so it wasn't a cold decision to send him to the hunt

Thanks for your replies - makes it clearer for me!!

Strange thing is - one of the times I've heard the expression used doesn't really fit in with the above explanations. I was talking to a YO about a year ago and she knew of a horse that my friend used to own before she sold him on. The horse ended up at the YO's stables but the new owner neglected him badly which resulted in the horse becoming very ill. The YO said she eventually rang the owner and told her that if she didn't come and sort out her horse and get it PTS she was going to "drop it off at the hunt". She said that the owner then took the horse to a new livery yard so she wasn't sure what happened to it after that.

At the time I was trying to appear as knowledgeable as poss (I was scoping the place, whilst thinking of buying a horse to stable there) so I didn't ask her what she meant.

Apologies for being thick (again! :eek:) but what did she mean? Did she mean she would take the horse while it was still alive?

Some of the local hunts are able to collect deadstock it depends on each hunt. They are not able to use the "carcase" if it has been PTS via injection the animal must have died via natural or been shot.

I would also like mine not to be PTS at kennels but collected by the hunt, although huntsmen are very proficient with dealing with the actually end. Most are very good with owners who have had to make the decision.

Around my way its common practise for hunting horses to be PTS at the kennels. The idea being that when the horses are loaded into the trailer and driven to the kennels they hear all the hounds barking and think they are going hunting so die happy.

Owner Abandoning Horse

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have your horse at 'livery', (I mean just dump it at the yard and then bugger off never to be seen again) I think the YO has a duty of care towards the horse, rather than leaving it to starve. Under these new laws, I'm sure that's the case whether owner has paid livery fees or not. I guess if they just leave the beast there and then do a runner, they wouldn't have paid any livery charges. What's other peeps take on this?

Thanks for your replies - makes it clearer for me!!

Strange thing is - one of the times I've heard the expression used doesn't really fit in with the above explanations. I was talking to a YO about a year ago and she knew of a horse that my friend used to own before she sold him on. The horse ended up at the YO's stables but the new owner neglected him badly which resulted in the horse becoming very ill. The YO said she eventually rang the owner and told her that if she didn't come and sort out her horse and get it PTS she was going to "drop it off at the hunt". She said that the owner then took the horse to a new livery yard so she wasn't sure what happened to it after that.

At the time I was trying to appear as knowledgeable as poss (I was scoping the place, whilst thinking of buying a horse to stable there) so I didn't ask her what she meant.

Apologies for being thick (again! :eek:) but what did she mean? Did she mean she would take the horse while it was still alive?

Some hunts will shoot them, so this may be what she meant.

newrider.com