Take A Cob, A Rider, And Add A Closed Gate

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
2012-09-21121656-1_zps62661361.jpg

I won't add a photo of multi coloured knees.

Last edited:
OMG! Does your knee hurt?? Solly did this to me once, wasn't really his fault, I asked him through a very narrow opening and didnt swing my leg up quick enough and boy did it hurt my knee!:giggle:

She has effectively demolished it hasnt she?:bounce:

One knee is twice its size.

She was practising her long and low head to the floor trot off. The gate didn't stand a chance. It was obvious she wasn't jumping but she wasn't stopping either.

I think it must be a 'cob thing'. My friends did that to her when I was with her on a fun ride and I was riding her anglo arab. Just crashed her knees straight into a gatepost. She was black and blue poor thing, and that wasn't the first or last time.

Hope knee reduces in size quickly.

Ouch, was she making a point? I used to ride a cob at a riding school that would scrape my leg on the wall if he was feeling arsey.

I have ridden ponies or horses that squeeze through or won't wait-but i haven't ridden one who has trotted full pelt towards a shut gate and kept going.
A cob thing? Or the Welsh bit?

Sorry all Welshie owners, but very much the Welsh bit IMO!:redcarded: If they get an idea in their mind you best just hang on tight and go with the flow!:bounce:

Ouch. Well let me just tell you: don't buy knee pads. They are really too bulky to keep your legs close to the saddle. I know because I got a pair. The elbow pads however work well.

Use some Arnica! We get something here called Sore-No-More. It's actually for horses but it also works great for riders damaged by horses!

A cob thing? Or the Welsh bit?

Both :wink::bounce:
My Lad did this to my sister - He went to walk through the gap before I got to open the gate fully, stirrup became entangled on gate, sister fell off, and Shadow legged it up the road............... stirrup and leather were left attached to gate..
Hope your ok.... that sounds like it smarts :frown:

Ouch! I feel for you ... It's not just cobs & Welshies, it's Haffies too .. Hebe's done it to me twice. I fell off both times (foot tangled in gate ...). But the ground was nice and muddy - probably less painful than a bashed knee:smile:

Hope your knee gets better soon.

That happened to me due to bad teaching in America. Never again. One learns from one's mistakes. back home, I got excellent RI to teach me how to do gates. Had a thread on NR too. It sure does hurt and I am surprised that it happened to you - since I cursed myself for my novice foolishness.

I was bareback so nothing to get caught on it. We skidded to a halt in the yard and went back in.
Maybe she was trying to adjust my position.

Skib, it isn't a case of learning to do gates, she went through the gate while it was CLOSED. She rammed into it and kept going. She opted to leave the school somewhere around M and left it she did with me still on board.

Last edited:
I was bareback so nothing to get caught on it. We skidded to a halt in the yard and went back in.
Maybe she was trying to adjust my position.

Skib, it isn't a case of learning to do gates, she went through the gate while it was CLOSED. She rammed into it and kept going. She opted to leave the school somewhere around M and left it she did with me still on board.

:biggrin: And in my case nothing to do with learning either - just Hebe in a hurry, wanting to keep up with her friend, forgetting her manners ... Sometimes horses have their own agenda, and they take you by surprise.

she went through the gate while it was CLOSED. She rammed into it and kept going. She opted to leave the school somewhere around M and left it she did with me still on board.

The cheeky mare! :eek: Now that's what i'd describe as a 'True welsh mare with attitude to boot':cool:
I think you should add a parachute to you riding gear and a airbag too.. and a motor bike crash helmet.. knee pads... the list goes on.....

Sorry - I misunderstood. Do you think lots of young horses do this? It seems very common to be told that a pony seems upset by a possible early incident when it banged into a gate - in our yard this is sometimes blamed on the pony supposedly having been driven in an earlier life. Victorian images of carts being overturned with the horse still attached?

But also fresh in my mind is a woman I met earlier this week at a non-horsey function who told me she had only once been on a horse and never again as it had repeatedly scraped her knee on the trees. I explained to her that this was not to be taken personally - They did it to everyone - horses' genes made no allowance for the width of a rider's legs.

I am getting her checked over just in case its pain related-she does have an old injury, caused by a gate and she spent 3months on box rest at 18months with physio.

What i have noticed with her very early on, is if you put something on her she doesn't like, she will ram into things trying to get it off, climbs up the walls whilst rearing. Its a case of can't cope i am leaving, trust me you can't stop me. No i know i can't !

I don't know if its a cob thing or not, any horse can panic and bolt and run blind. This was a trot, so we weren't going fast, we just weren't stopping either. Think runaway steamroller. So on the one hand she said sod it (am i allowed to say that ) on the other it could have been a twinge and she got on the forehand and then didn't know how to stop.

My lad decided, whilst I was putting my coat back on, and had let go of the reins for a min (he's usually pretty good at standing still after a session in the arena) that he was going to open the gate and let us out... which he did..
Then, just as he thought, "oh goodie, time to go back to my stable!" I made him go out on a short hack....

newrider.com