Tail Bandage?

Rarah

A hole in my Logic!
Sep 28, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
I've seen a couple of threads about traveling gear - most say to use a tail bandage for your horse.

Why's that?

I've taken Logic on 4 outings now, and are off again on Friday without a tail bandage.

What are they for please? We don't seem to have suffered any ill effects yet.

Cheers :)

its just to protect the horses dock and tail from being rubbed or damaged durist the journey. some horses lean on there bottom when they travel

hope that helps:D

To protect the tail bone from rubbing against the breach bar/rear door/side of lorry etc. Either a tail bandage or tail guard offer similar protection although I tend to use both...over protective Mother and all ;)

a tail bandage looks a bit like and exercise bandage exept it tends to have string ties instead of velcro (my RI just uses an old exercise bandage), you should bandage from the base of the tail down the whole dock and then go back up as far as you can with the remainder (which generally isn't much). you can also use a tail guard which sometimes isn't as secure but is much quicker to put on as it saves you wrapping around all the time (a bit like using travel boots instead of bandaging).

Their purpose as others have said is to prevent them rubbing their tail and protects the dock.

My friend puts a bandage and tail guard on and her horse manages to get both off or half off in the box. the tail bandage is very good at getting plaits to sit flatter too :)

I used to ask mself the same question, then I met Chester - aka Mr I Squash My Tail In the Lorry And Make It Bleed!! Yep first time I trevelled him he rubbed the tail bandage so it slipped down & left a bit of dock unprotected, this ended up a bloody mess. He needed a tail bandage and a tailguard attached to a surcingle to protect him from rubs.

NN - I use travel boots to keep poo off her feather!!

We've got a black tail so no worries in that department.

I guess we've probably got that much hair on her tail, that we probably don't need a bandage if she's been OK so far.

24.jpg

I nearly always bandage Brys tail as she rubs it and she poo's for britain when she is in the box.

If we are showing then we double bandage
DSC01066.jpg

I bandage Ferns, simply because she doesnt have much of a tail anyway so once she gets in the box and begins to rub, there is even less. It also helps to keep it clean.
xXx

newrider.com