Swollen stifle

Morganna

Feb 23, 2006
North Lanarkshire
Soooo, Arion had a wee visit from the lovely vet today, and after thorough examination and lots of trotting up, flexion tests, more trotting up, this time in the rain, more flexion test and more trotting up - he had me knackered:eek:

Arion has a swollen stifle joint which the vet reckons is contributing to his very low grade and barely noticeable intermittent lameness and his habit if bucking his way into canter. Nothing wrong with his back at all, which I had originally thought was the problem. So, he has been put on bute for a week, cold hosing for a week, no canter work for 3 weeks, absolutely no jumping for 4 weeks and he has been started on joint supplements, Superflex, which ain't cheap I can tell you.:rolleyes:

I have no idea how he managed to do this to himself but at least we know what is going on with him now. Has anyone got any experience with stifle problems like this? What was the outcome and is there anything I should keep an eye out for.:)

I haven't any experience of stifle injuries like this.I have seen a horse who had a severe kick to the stifle which caused a fracture.The fracture wasn't treated and the horse never came sound.His hocks touched together which I have never seen in any other horse and he could never be ridden.

Poor Arion!!!!

Shame that hes hurt himself!!!

Did they say what could have caused it??? Will have to get over to see the poor man!!!

Nikki xxx

No Nik, the vet had no idea what caused it - he had no marks on his legs which could have indicated a kick or injury and seeing as he has been bucking going into canter and has had intermittent lameness since I came back to riding, he may have done it while I was too ill to ride or visit him and the yard just haven't told me. It wouldnt be the first time this had happened. When I originally had my accident, they used him in the school, put a novice rider on him who then frightened the life out of him causing him to bolt (totally out of character for Arion) and he slipped in the corner of the school and they both fell. The yard never told me about this, another livery told me when I came back to the yard after 4 months of not being able to see my horse. I do hope its not connected to that fall although its unlikely seeing as it was 16 months ago.

newrider.com