Swollen Eye

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Does anyone know what might have caused this? Right eye is very swollen, above the eye, puffy and quite hot and obviously tender to the touch. There is no mark though so we initially thought it was probably an insect bite or sting, but it hasn't gone down at all since lunch time today, although it doesn't seem any worse. The eye was weeping a bit but that seems to have cleared up. Can't see anything in or wrong with the eye itself though.

PoorlyEye.jpg

Sorry picture isn't very good as it was taken from my phone.

Thanks martini55. Poor Martini did get a bash didn't she? Rafi's eye does look quite similar except no cut, YO did wonder if he could have banged it but it wasn't swollen this morning so must have happened in the field. Suppose he could have knocked it into the fence though. Hope Martini had no lasting effects.

Really hard to tell with eyes unless there's an obvious cut. Might have a foreign body lodged under the eyelid, might have a graze on the cornea, might just be an allergic reaction to something (and have to say this is what my girls eyelids looked like in early summer). Only way you're going to know is vet to check the eye.

Thanks. Called vet this morning as the eye wasn't any better. Poor Rafi had to be twitched so the vet could get a good look - vet said it would be better for him than sedation but I can't say I enjoyed it very much. Anyway vet says nothing stuck in there, no damage to the cornea, no sign of a knock so he thinks it must be an allergic reaction. He gave him an injection and some ointment and this evening the swelling was going down a little. He's still tormenting his new best friend with little nips all time and eating as if there's no tomorrow, so I'm not too worried now. Traumatic weekend though!

newrider.com