Swollen Eye - do we need the vet?

rallywag

Apr 14, 2010
My mare had a slight yellow discharge from 1 eye about a week ago and seemed to go away after a couple of days only to return a few days later. Not a profuse discharge. Then, we had a bit of an issue loading and she crashed off the ramp into a tree and branches and think she may have banged same eye as now 3 days later, her eye area is a bit puffed and eye is about one third closed with a little discharge but not so yellowy. Should I call the vet out or am I over reacting and wait for a few more days and see if it heals itself? Problem is I'm away tonight and tomorrow so if I don't get vet today it will be a weekend callout charge if not any better. Appreciate any thoughts :confused:

The common consensus seems to be that you don't take any chances with eyes, I'd get the vet out pronto.

personally, I'd call the vet out BUT I am overcautious with eyes

our pony gets some discharge on and off in summer and I've found a few days with golden eye does the trick but anything more than that, I call out our vet - but I am of the OMG he's gonna die panic pony ownership camp :rolleyes:

On our yard, my friends horse cut over his eye and she knew it was nowt to worry about cos she phoned me and asked how bad it was and I said I've washed it and slapped on some vaseline - she said she knew at that moment it would wait till she'd finished work as I panic over even tiny cuts!!!!

My mare had a slight yellow discharge from 1 eye about a week ago and seemed to go away after a couple of days only to return a few days later. Not a profuse discharge. Then, we had a bit of an issue loading and she crashed off the ramp into a tree and branches and think she may have banged same eye as now 3 days later, her eye area is a bit puffed and eye is about one third closed with a little discharge but not so yellowy. Should I call the vet out or am I over reacting and wait for a few more days and see if it heals itself? Problem is I'm away tonight and tomorrow so if I don't get vet today it will be a weekend callout charge if not any better. Appreciate any thoughts :confused:

She may have some debris left in it - I would ring the vet to check especially if you are goingto be away - he may suggest an eye wash or want to come and check it depending on how you answer the questions.

hope alls well

When my boy had a slight discharge from the eye, slightly swollen and wouldn't fully open it I had vet out who diagnosed an abcess.

I personally wouldn't take any chances with eyes!

newrider.com