Swollen ankle/pastern

nani

Nov 20, 2007
Avon
Since having new farrier, November 09 M has been going well (I actually wanted to go barefoot but was advised against by vet). Then two months ago I noticed his near hind was growing a bit skewed out to left (never happened before) asked farrier about it - he says that's just him. Well it's bloody NOT!

Anyway, hopping lame last week coming out of stable with swollen ankle. Took shoe off, vet though it was an abscess. A bit better but still the wierd enlargement of that ankle/pastern. Def no abscess. No heat. Called vet back today and she said call back if no improvement after 2 weeks. I'm sure she's fobbing me off.

I'm at my wits end with farrier and vet. Already sacked farrier and thinking about changing vets as Bushy Equine are CRAP.

Thing is, I can't even put it down to riding as I can't due to shoulder injury. He's hardly been ridden since he was last shod 4 weeks ago.

Has anyone ever had this before? Is it ringbone? Is it tendonitis?

Can you tell I'm steaming? :stomp:

Writing as a fellow Bristol person, which farrier did you have and what vet from Bushy did you have?

There are some terrible vets there but also some really great ones - Alex (from the Berkeley clinic), Duncan and Scott (from the Cardiff one) are excellent. Alex in particular is very, very good with mechanical lameness problems and her advice managed to keep my Dolly pony sound and in work a year longer than previously expected.

I'm currently using a trainee EP to trim my ponies but when Dolly was shod I used a farrier called Adrian Palmer who I rate very highly - he's always done an amazing job and Dolly scored a 5.6 on her first EP trim which is well above average for a horse very recently out of shoes and still with nail holes!

my mare was diagnosed with Ringbone years ago - couldnt feel it though but could see on xray, so would be tempted to think not that. Maybe just a tendon strain or something?

i just started another thread but i have this week been applying some coolant clay stuff to Rosies legs called StaySound and today she trotted up sound, thats just after 4 days using it! (she strained her tendon 3 months ago and hasnt really improved at all until this week)

Writing as a fellow Bristol person, which farrier did you have and what vet from Bushy did you have?

There are some terrible vets there but also some really great ones - Alex (from the Berkeley clinic), Duncan and Scott (from the Cardiff one) are excellent. Alex in particular is very, very good with mechanical lameness problems and her advice managed to keep my Dolly pony sound and in work a year longer than previously expected.

I'm currently using a trainee EP to trim my ponies but when Dolly was shod I used a farrier called Adrian Palmer who I rate very highly - he's always done an amazing job and Dolly scored a 5.6 on her first EP trim which is well above average for a horse very recently out of shoes and still with nail holes!

Hi DollysMum, I've been having John Ford and he did something with M's hinds saying he wasn't properly shod and he stands camped-out. He's half clydesdale and I thought that was thier conformation. So that was 4 months ago and I'm sure it has something to do with it.

The vet was Emma from Willesley (Bushy & Willesley merged about a year ago I think) I used to have Duncan but he won't come as far out as Bath. I have no confidence in my current vets whatsoever.

I'm actually thinking about taking his shoes off altogether as they are all contracted frankly and calling an EP I know of locally and going with my instinct.

I think I'm so upset because I feel I'm letting my horse down.

my mare was diagnosed with Ringbone years ago - couldnt feel it though but could see on xray, so would be tempted to think not that. Maybe just a tendon strain or something?

i just started another thread but i have this week been applying some coolant clay stuff to Rosies legs called StaySound and today she trotted up sound, thats just after 4 days using it! (she strained her tendon 3 months ago and hasnt really improved at all until this week)

I also think it could be this due to the way he's been shod - the base of the ddft & sdft tendon on back of cannon bone where it attaches to ankle bone is enlarged. I think I will look it up...

I couldn't find the clay stuff, only dermagel Julie, would you have a link by any chance?

I have seen him trot and canter in the field. Then, as soon as on concrete - lame.

nani when I went barefoot with Ben who is base narrow was told by a vet not to let anyone try to correct his wear pattern as it would lame him.Think correction can only be done on a youngster to be successful :unsure:

Thanks for you replies. Thanks Dollysmum for your help!

I'm so pleased I've had second opinion, also we found what the swelling may be about, he had a dried up infection in a nail hole on that foot. Not just that, his back foot was trimmed incorrectly and was causing a pull on DDFT (real cause of lameness?).

New farrier cleaned it out and I put some H2O2 to fizz out any residue yesterday and he has had all his shoes taken off and a remedial trim and will now be barefoot until his feet have rehabilitated.

Swelling seems to have gone down this morning and hole still clean! Yay! It seems you can rehabilitate successfully at any age regardless. All you need is time and a good farrier :biggrin:.

Tried to take photos this am but started to rain... will try later.

Nx

newrider.com