sweet itch

Calli

Mar 28, 2009
tried most things, the mare has bred all her life and is now retired, she has never worn a rug and dosnt like the sweet itch rug its quite mean making her wear it all all the time if she hates it

she cant have an injection as she sufferes from lamanitis does any body have anything they have tried before they found to work?

:)

this is what i do with my mare:

sweetitch rug 24/7 (wearing since Feb)
electric fenced paddock (been in since June)
lots and lots of garlic (only been feeding more in the last 6 wks)
garlic blocks in field (Bug-Go) (only been using these for about 6wks - really helped reduce the flies in the field)
Feeding her Brewers Yeast in her feed. (been feeding since Feb)

Now shes always worn sweetitch rugs 24/7 for yrs - on previous yrs these have been rubbed to shreds (not the case this yr), think the sole reason for this rug surviving is the electric paddock.

Now this is the first year shes been fed Brewers Yeast and Garlic. I must admit that she has barely scratched at all (even in the stable). So i think the supplements may be helping/working for her.

The only time shes been itchy is lately whilst shes been molting and its getting trapped under the rug, making her itchy.

i buy the brewers yeast from http://www.nettex-supplies.co.uk/
I have also used the Itchstop cream purchased from the same people - its been good on areas not covered by the rug.

Good luck! at least you can try to be prepared ready for next year! (i try to start with sweetitch treatment in Feb/March and continue right through to Oct/Nov.

Can you try changing the type of rug she is wearing as this might make a difference?

I have been shampooing every other day (just tail as worst affected area as always rugged) with tesco anti dandruff menthol shampoo - this has really cut down the itching - it removes the dead skin, and keeping it scab free, which I think makes her skin more breathable and also menthol is quite cooling in it :)

Garlic has mixed reports - it is supposed to repel flies but also affects the immune system making reactions worse - tbh I have noticed no difference either way in taking Silver off of it.

I also try and keep her dry ish - change rugs regularily (once a day if wet) as if she is warm and damp she gets really itchy. I also wash the rugs regularily (once a week ish) as when they smell she attracts more flies! They get quite greasy

Vet has suggested Cavalesse, but at the moment we are well under control *touch wood* so I cant justify paying for it when she is only bitten once every few weeks with a reaction (although not been bitten since before shampooing regime began a few weeks ago). But might be worth looking into.

We have three that suffer from it. One started with Cavalesse a few months ago and still has mane and tail and although itches, is nowhere near as bad as he used to be, just the odd rub every now and again.

The other two weren't put on it until July and they were much worse up until then, having rubbed away bits of mane and tails through fly rugs, they have improved a lot since being on it. We also bought them snuggy hoods and this has helped too.

Cavalesse just goes in their feeds, and you can also get the cream as well.

A liquid product called Switch is the best I've ever tried, if you can still get it that is.
I have a magazine somewhere which provides it, or did, but I'll hunt it out and post again.

Also, the only rug which really works for my horse is the Boett Rug, which is I'm sorry to say, quite expensive, but if you can run to this, is worth the expense.

Incidentally, there is another similar, much less expensive rug - same shape, but different material, but isn't as good, to be honest, as it's quite "thick" and is a nylon fabric I think, where the Boett Rug is a much more comfortable, treated, cotton-based one and my mare doesn't get too hot in it, and she certainly doesn't get bitten either!

Not sure if the above helps, but Good Luck!

Roseanne

newrider.com