sweet itch- apparently a remedy for the really bad.

Giveitago

Nov 9, 2004
Guildford/Woking
Visit site
I spoke to a friend the other day and she told me about an injection that her horse has had to combat Sweet itch, it's a dose of a wormer that the vet usually gives cattle.

Now, thinking this was a bit suspicious I phoned my vet to discuss this treatment.

Apparently, this cattle wormer gives the horse such a bad smell that the flies will not bite it. It has been used in severe cases (bleeding, upset etc) for 20 years or so. It has to first be administered early in the year to give a good effect and once again a month later.

It's not the cheapest therapy and is only given to the really bad cases,

but, if your interested, call the vet and ask about 'DECTROMAX'.

I was also told to keep an eye out as there seems to be news of a new drug becoming available next year from the trials that were run last summer.

Furthermore, a local lady that works in the tack shop has said never to gve a 'sweetie' garlic as it does something to the blood but doesnt deter flies. I have found that giving a yeast supplement from the chemist has had more effect.

Hope you find this of interest.

Unfortunately, my mare is really not bad enough to have this drug and we are therefore contnuing with the creams and potions.

it's not a steroid injection is it?! just wondering, because mine IS severe and all the vet ever came up with (other than cortisone creams for the wounds!) was a steroid injection and atarax hayfever tablets ...

Julia
x

newrider.com