sweat rugs

SO1

New Forests Rule!
Nov 26, 2004
Visit site
My new pony is going to live out all year as he does not like being stabled - jumps out!

He is a hairy native and currently not rugged/clipped so gets a little sweaty when I ride him. I will rug a bit later on but want him to be unrestricted and naked for as long as possible - might consider a bib clip once he is rugged.

I though to help him cool off more quickly before he goes back in the field I might get a sweat rug - but was wondering how the string vest sorts actually work and if it might be better to get a thermatex.

String vests are useless on their own - you have to put them under another rug so they create an 'air layer'. With all the new rugs on the market they aren't really the best thing you can get anymore.

Thermatex type ones are fab but loadsa dosh :eek: also maybe a bit heavy/warm if he's not used to being rugged?

What about a fleece designed for drying off - not used one myself but s'posed to be good.

I use a waffle rug and find it brilliant :D

Either put it on, on its own or under a stble or NZ rug and they dry off in no time at all and they are not too expensive either.

i have a 'summer weight' thermatex and even that is too much for my cob. Coolmastas are fab. Wash and wear well and i think equestrian clearance have them on offer just now ;)

I do like waffle weaves. I've got a couple of supposed sweat-wicking fleece rugs but my horse sometimes tends to break out again when she wears them. A good old waffle that's a bit like a tea towel does the trick though :D

newrider.com