Suspended and so he should be

newforest

Mar 15, 2008

I have seen some of the footage they are talking about, why do people do this!
How much actually goes on behind closed doors, scary.

All too often high level competition in any discipline isn't kind to horses and training methods aren't what we would find acceptable as leisure riders. I'm not justifying it and I think the top levels of all disciplines need to be more closely scrutinised on a regular basis. These people are, in many cases, competitors rather than horse lovers and the results are seen as justifying the methods.

I fear it isn't as uncommon as you'd hope, and it isn't just in dressage. How to stop it is hard though, how would governing bodies go about policing what goes on on private yards? Competitions yes, but then what happens there is generally less extreme.

All too often high level competition in any discipline isn't kind to horses and training methods aren't what we would find acceptable as leisure riders. I'm not justifying it and I think the top levels of all disciplines need to be more closely scrutinised on a regular basis. These people are, in many cases, competitors rather than horse lovers and the results are seen as justifying the methods.
Have you seen the video? This wasn’t on the normal level of bad behaviour using gadgets and the like, this was a rider, 1 person hanging onto a lead and another person behind with a whip, all constantly at the horse, beating it into piaffe.

He very much deserves the ban, as do all the people involved and those spectating but that won’t happen.

@Jessey no I haven't as I'm over my H&H limit. My argument isn't that he doesn't deserve a ban, rather that there are others who do too and that top level horse sports need to somehow tighten up their act because there's far too much abusive training.

Reactions: Jessey
@Jessey no I haven't as I'm over my H&H limit. My argument isn't that he doesn't deserve a ban, rather that there are others who do too and that top level horse sports need to somehow tighten up their act because there's far too much abusive training.
Yeah absolutely, bad practices are all too common in all disciplines in all places for sure.

Reactions: carthorse
I watched the videos and I think it's also on You Tube, though I don't want to add that here.

One video was a horse with its legs tied to the roller.
The other was a horse in hobbles with rider on board and someone with a whip forcing it to do piaffe.
That's abuse pure and simple, everyone involved who thinks that's acceptable shouldn't be around any animal.
Another was a horse with its head tied to its chest being lunged.
The other is from 2012, that's how long this abuse has been allowed to carry on. It's not in secret behind closed doors, there are numerous people there watching, working.
I believe he was cleared of responsibility as the owner signed a waiver.

The sport I agree needs a good shake up, but we need to police ourselves and actually give the horse a voice.
If you stand there and watch someone do that to an animal, you are just as bad imo.
Sorry, but being willing to a ride a hobbled horse while someone whips them, what is wrong with you!

The ridden videos are horrific, the lunging ones...there are no words.

I am glad the Helgestrad issues are bringing more things to light after at least some action waa taken there. Time to clean up horse sport as they have no one to speak for them other than people who care.

I got involved in a debate on facebook recently about the guy who rode Blu horse Matinee and the short ban he’s had they should ban for life.., I am not as knowledgeable re dressage etc or training as some of you, but I can believe people think that is ok in anyway shape or form to do this to such beautiful animal just to win ……. Life bans and heavy fines should follow these people, a definite NO, our younger riders idolise these people.

I got involved in a debate on facebook recently about the guy who rode Blu horse Matinee and the short ban he’s had they should ban for life.., I am not as knowledgeable re dressage etc or training as some of you, but I can believe people think that is ok in anyway shape or form to do this to such beautiful animal just to win ……. Life bans and heavy fines should follow these people, a definite NO, our younger riders idolise these people.
You don't need to know more about dressage, abusing a horse is wrong regardless.

Reactions: Native Lover
You don't need to know more about dressage, abusing a horse is wrong regardless.
What I meant was when I watched many, many times blu hors matinee perform at the time I couldnt tell she had been trained by abusive methods I just thought what a beautiful horse. To find out years later she was trained abusively…heartbreaking really.

It's really sad to see that beautiful willing submissive temperament getting abused.
Mine would simply bury you long before that.

@newforest I think if the horse has enough talent they will break it's will. We aren't talking riders of our ability, and that some of them have no compassion or ethics is very clear so that being the case they horse will give at some point unless it is actually willing to fight to its death 😭

newrider.com