Survived my first buck

michie

Apr 8, 2004
N. California (Bay Area)
Visit site
As we're doing our first rated show this week, I took Otto down to my yard's jumping arena. I usually keep him in our smaller schooling arena as he gets a little stupid when things rustle in the fields next to the jumping area. We were fine until my friend's horse spooked, setting Otto off. To be honest, the buck wasn't that big, but I found myself popping out of the saddle. Somehow - I have no idea how - I managed to stay on. So, the questions is, how do you sit a buck and what do you do? We had a few good laps around but I called it a day after another buck and 3 spooks across the arena.

My confidence is completely shot...

Well done! I normally feel a buck (the bigger ones) because it jolts my lower back.

I just follow the movement of the horse and move into his movements. That's why i'm better at sitting Red's bucks in canter as i'm already moving with him. Whereas in trot it's harder because it's an unbalancing gait as it is without the back end popping up every so often.

It's the same with rearing, if your horse rears then follow the movement. move forward and towards the directions she's moving in.

Good luck for your show!

Stick your heels down!! I spend about half my riding time nearly-but-not-quite getting bucked off (or it seems that way anyway) and you are much harder to get off if you go with the horses movement and stick your heels down.

Glad you survived anyway!:D

When you've sat thro' a few, you get to recognise when they're brewing one - to me it's a sort of "welling up" / "gathering-themselves-together" feeling. Then when you anticipate a buck coming, urge them forwards faster (heels down bit here!) and shorten the reins / keep their head up, so it's harder for them to do it.

And afterwards, look into why they might be doing it...

Sometimes before a horse bucks they will try to put their heads down that is normally a mallicious get off my back buck, by pulling the horses head up and putting your leg on to drive them forwards aswell as sitting back in the saddle should see you right.
If it's just an exuberant buck just sit back and and put all your weight in your stirrups.

newrider.com