Survived first competition away with own transport!

myhorselovesmud

Jan 28, 2009
I've just bought a trailer and took my horse to our first competition away from home yesterday and SURVIVED! Luckily we weren't going alone but I was on my own in my car towing by myself. I had towed my horse the previous weekend for the first time to move him to new yard with hubby in the car.

We went to a dressage competition and although I had started attempting (badly) Novice dressage in the winter, I opted for the walk-trot test and Prelim 1. I didn't know how he was going to behave! So we go there and he was a bit frisky, he's usually very laid back, and when we went into the warm up ring with all the other horses I just thought it was going to be a nightmare! He was prancing about and doing little bucks. I walked him round for a bit until he felt calm enough to trot and after a few rounds of trot he switched to being Mr Calm!! :-D

We came 2nd in the walk trot test and 7th out of 32 in Prelim 1!! I'm really pleased with both of us. It was brilliant to have my own transport to take him places without having to book the lorry as I did at the old place, hence never went anywhere!

Have started planning my next month of outtings already!! :-D

Pic of us both outside our new trailer after the competition:
picture.php

Last edited:
ooh - i've just bought exactly the same trailer as you - colour and everything! and this weekend was also my first outing in it (although i've towed on my own lots before ;)) but i was just going to a trianing day. well done - it is scary the first time. and well done at the comp too :D

Lovely trailer and well done for the competition and towing, I found it really scarey at first.

Do you mind me asking what car you tow with, I couldn't actually find a car that was legal to tow my trailer with so have ended up with a very expensive to run 4 x 4

newrider.com