surrey folks... how are things down there

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
..... with the breakout of the dreaded Foot and Mouth disease?

I know there are a number of our community based in Surrey and just wanted to say I hope you and your horses are all ok - whether your own or at riding schools.

I wasn't a member of this board in 2001 in the last (and horrendous) outbreak which started up in this part of the world where I am. I don't know how you all managed with your horses. I was riding then (at our first school) and all hacking was stopped.

I do recall those horrible pyres here and in Cumbria - from the top of Hartside you could see twenty fires burning at its worst.

I am praying that it is quickly contained, and thinking about you all.

Anne

My horse is based on a cattle farm 30 mins from Guildford and at the moment the farmer is going about his normal business and has told us not to panick...so all in all i still have dressage etc booked and am still ok to go !!

It is a worry though as 2001 we were not allowed to the horses the farmer and his wife looked after them and stayed on the farm with no one coming in or out of it !!!

unfortunatly for us our hunt horses are stabled in the area being monitered and because the first farmer in question, rented M.O.D land on the common opposite, all hacking and dog walking has been stopped on it.:(

We are outside the zone, but too close for comford. We have tried to persude everyone not to use the trailers/lorrys. The less agricultral type vehicle movements the better. Questy goes on Thursday to be broken to drive, hopefully thats still happening.

We're in Berkshire on a farm and we have been asked to stop hacking out and taking our horses out in the trailers for the time being.

newrider.com