Supplements for nervous/anxious horse

Aimee-x

Aimee-x
Mar 19, 2008
Plymouth, Devon
Heya, was just wondering if anybody can reccomend a supplement for nervous and anxious horses?
Shes unsettled, spooky, nervous, anxious and i just want something that can help her to stay calm, i hate seeing her working herself up.The slightest thing can start her off (typical thoroughbred!:rolleyes:).
I want to make things easier for her, its horrible seeing her stressed.
Im doing lots of groundwork to start a bond with her (only had her 6 weeks) and try to settle her and get her to trust me, but i have been told shes just usually a very nervous little thing.I think giving her some supplements could help.
Many thanks.:)
x

Before you waste money on supplements (not saying that they will not work but I've not had terrific response from them) I'd try and stick it out with her settling in. Reason I say this, is everytime ours have moved house they are nervous and spooky to start with (more so than usual!) but they do eventually settle. OH has a tb who can be the calmest sanest creature on earth when it suits him, other times he can happily stalk to the field on two legs instead of four (you get the idea!).
I have tried the following however (with some success)
Global Herbs do an Instand Calmer in sachets - its very expensive (£13 for only 5 sachets!) but I have found that it really does work - but you have to put it into their feed an hour before you need it. I used to dose our two if I knew we were loading them or if the farrier was coming and it was bad, windy spooky weather!!!
I have tried Supercalm ina tub - that was about £23 but its a long-term thing - I personally couldn't see any benefits - I tried our Joe on it for months - but it really didn't make much difference. He was on box rest and I needed him calm for in hand walking - but I'm not convinced unless they're magnesium deficient it will work (he obviously wasn't!)
I have also tried a product called Settleeze - now this was about £18 and lasted a couple of months - but I can't say whether it was just the fact that Storm actually settled in as she naturally would or if the product kicked in! (Sorry- thats not very helpful). But in these credit crunch times, I'd be wary of forking out for supplements that claim to calm before trying the free route - which is just to do your best doing in hand things and letting her get her bearings.

Cripes, just realised I'd typed you an essay! lol - you can't say I haven't tried a few calmers....hehehehehe. Good luck anyway ! I find the more turnout our two get, the better they settle into a new home. (We've moved yards twice and eventually we moved them to our house to live)

We used Top Spec Calmer for our ex Racehorse and it was the only thing we found to work for him, we had to make sure we didn't run out as he only had to be off it a few days for him to start showing anxiety, he had real issues bless him. We tried a few others but didn't work, its often trial and error what works for one don't always work on another.

Thanks! dont worry about the essay lol! lots of help there.
I will leave her to settle a while longer first, she hasn't been here long, but i have been in contact with an old owner who said this is just the way she is - always lol.
Shes turned out on 8 acres with 2 other horses and 2 ponies (although this is being split up very soon as the others are getting fat!!).

I dont want to start pumping her full of calmers or anything, shes not terrible or un rideable/un handleable, i just dont like seeing her stressed.
I just want a small supplement that may help balance her, like atm she has garlic & limestone flour. just something like that to help balance and settle her abit?
Ive heard magnesium powder can help?

Im planning on letting her settle more and do lots of inhand and building a bond with her first, this is just to get an idea of what i can give her if she is still very stressed. :)
thanks!
x

Last edited:
Yes, apparently magnesium is the main ingredient in most calmers (so am told). Don't know how true that is but you can buy that in bulk on its own and its way cheaper (you could ask your local feed merchant). There are tons of other products I've seen, like those syringes with single doses in - I think one is called Oxyshot - I believe you can use that as and when required and you can ride your horse when its had some too.

newrider.com