Super bumpy canter :(

Shortstirrupgirl28

Jun 21, 2020
So I'm not a new rider, but I really need some help! I ride this 20-ish year old quarter/??? gelding and he is amazing, so amazing that I'm really considering leasing him. There is just one problem, his canter is so bumpy that no amount of training can prepare you for it. When you keep him slow then its actually really smooth, but as soon as you extend, even just by 0.000001 percent, it's near impossible to stay in the saddle. I love him with all my heart but if I can't stay on the saddle, I might have to look for another horse to lease. All other threads here say to just learn how to sit it, but do you think I haven't tried? Please help!

I'm interested to know what other solution do you think there could be other than learning to sit it? ;) As with most riding issues, there isn't a magical quick fix.
You may not be a "new" rider, but nobody's perfect! Sitting to the canter is all about the quality of your seat, so there's obviously an element that you haven't quite mastered yet, and while you might not notice it on other horses, clearly this bigger, bouncier canter has highlighted that there's an issue somewhere.
If you really enjoy this horse I wouldn't let this stop you! Riding is a continual learning process so don't view this as a "problem", but a challenge.

Reactions: carthorse
Breathing deep and slow and counting the 3 time rhythm . Is my way. Relax . Dont actively ride it .

I agree with @joosie, but given his age I also wonder if there's an element of stiffness or arthritis. If he's ok to ride in a very slow canter it could be he's actually going 4 beat, when you push him on he goes 3 beat (true canter) and that when you see a problem. Horses with hock problems will sometimes do this.

Also canter can be uncomfortable if it’s disunited (cross firing) or if they are not engaging the hind end fully, Could you perhaps have a session with a trainer so they can see what’s going on to help you find the best solution?

newrider.com