Super Anxious -Minnie leaving (again) today

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
I am feeling all panicked. Today is the day. We will drop off Minnie in a few hours and she will be gone for a month.
I hope she will do okay and be safe and comfortable there.
I just hate not having her home.

Gosh Karin I hope she is OK too. But from what you;ve said about your RI, I think the prognosis is good.

You'll be visiting her, right? So you can see how she is? I'm sure she'll tell you :smile:

Yes definitely visits. I will go as often as I can without my kids revolting!

On Monday I'll be there to introduce her to my RI and be there for her first lesson.

On Tuesday I will be there because I made her an appointment with the physio so she can get massage/chiro/acupuncture -whatever the vet feels she needs- to start out comfortably and well aligned.

And I have lessons there myself on Saturdays and plan to take her for a walk around the property then.

I plan to see her at least 3 times a week.

How's she settling in today Karin? (Not sure of time difference so sorry if you've not been yet and champing at the bit to get there!)
I can imagine you'll be worried but hopefully as you're going to be there so often, you'll be able to keep an eye on her. I'd be exactly the same as you, especially after your last experience, but fingers crossed everything will go fabulously!

Thanks. I felt terrible. She kept calling after me yesterday when I left her there.

My RI checked in on her that evening and texted me saying that she was super cute and really good size but that she didn't accept any treats because she was still very nervous. :(

And I had decided on nighttime turnout because she gets to be outside more than in the daytime turnout group (so hot here so the daytimers come in at noon) and then we had a tropical thunderstorm move through!!! ugh.

But I am heading out to see her in a couple of hours.
http://newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228846&page=9

How was she when you went to check?

Its always so emotional having to send them anywhere, so scary as all we want to do it protect them. Hopefully after a few days she will be chilled and realise it all good :)

I would not have been very happy to have arrived and found my horse to be the only horse in a barn where they had only just arrived - AT ALL!

Will pop and read your full post - but surely these people should be the ones to decide which turnout she would be happiest with?

Personally I would expect trainers to at least understand horse pyschology to the point where a horse only having just arrived is not going to be happy left all alone in a new place?

Sounds like she should be ok now, being out with the other horses, it is difficult sending them away for re-starting, especially after what happened. You have a lot of inner strength, being able to face sending her away again, but I guess you feel this is make or break time for you both.
I assume you will be getting back on her whilst she's there at some point?
What ever happens, you will get back the bond you had with her before you originally sent her away, from what I just read, it's still there, just under her 'tough' exterior :wink:
The most important thing is, you know her inside out, and vice versa, and that forms a good base for a long lasting partnership :smile:

Will pop and read your full post - but surely these people should be the ones to decide which turnout she would be happiest with?

Personally I would expect trainers to at least understand horse pyschology to the point where a horse only having just arrived is not going to be happy left all alone in a new place?

It's such a big place. 140 stalls in all. It's very high priced so they do whatever you tell them to. I had thought night turnout would give her the most hours out so that's what I signed her up for.

Cuco, the Spanish speaking barn helper tried to get authorization to take her outside because he was quite distraught about her freaking out too. But he's not allowed to change the horses schedule and could get in trouble. He did what he could to get somebody to contact me to get permission to take her out.

I blame the barn manager for not telling him to take her out. There was one pony in the barn at the end but he sleeps so Minnie can't see him. To Minnie all she knows is that she's completely left behind. The barn owner thinks the sleeping invisible pony should be enough for Minnie. At the very least she should have called me when Cuco and another boarder told her Minnie was in distress.

The trainer is a different person. She boards her 2 horses there and she is my RI. She won't come in until this afternoon so was not there this morning. I am very pleased with how she is treating Minnie. I think that part will work out.

The only person I am annoyed with is really the barn owner for writing Minnie off as crazy and pissed off when it should be clear she was just terrified.

I put it in writing what Minnie's new turnout schedule will be and that the top priority will be that Minnie can see other horses near her.
I also gave permission to Cuco to take Minnie in or out as he sees fit rather than him and Minnie having to wait for permission from somebody. If she's distressed about being left alone he should be able to take her to the others.

Well done you, and well done Cuco - he at least sounds switched on. Barn Manager sounds a complete idiot!!!

Always difficult the first few days - bear in mind though, horses only know what they have done as my YO says.

My horse who HATED being in, opted today to be in. Opened stable door after breakfast, walked on, and Tobes didn't move. Decided today he would prefer to be in with or without any horses there. This previously would have been unheard of, but he is used to his stable now having been there since last October.

At least you have a fab yard assistant in Cuco who gets that she was stressed, and if he has authority to change things, am sure Minnie will be well looked after whilst there, and your trainer will be there at other times.

I had to drag Shadow out to the field yesterday, he did NOT want to leave the comfort of a dry stable and a hay net..

Yes I wish I could speak Spanish so I wouldn't have to rely on the barn owner to translate for me. But I feel putting it in writing to her hopefully makes her follow my instructions and relay them to him.
The barn owner will not interact to Minnie. Cuco is Minnie's full-time caretaker and I trust him. The only other person to interact with her is my RI.

Less confusing for her the less people involved. Cuco sounds like a really nice chap, and very caring. Think I would be far happier it was Cuco looking after her than barn owner.

Problems ironing out. She will be fine.

newrider.com