Summer turnout

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
So our guys went onto summer turnout two weeks ago, but all this wet weather has totally killed any grass coming through and the field looks trashed. Ive had to start bringing Kia in at night away from his herd to give him more calories and hay as he has dropped weight :( I hate taking him away from his herd as all his mares do is shout on him :( but I can't have him getting more ribby than he has become. He is rugged and warm so not shivering off weight.

Anyone else had to rethink out 24/7 due to all this wet? Field is fairly self draining and normally holds up well, just concerned this is a taste of the summer to come. Used to Scottish weather but this seems to be a wetter may than the past three years :(

Brought my two youngsters in and left my two fairly fat 7 year olds out in my bare winter turnout paddock with the shelter and just feeding haylage again.Darent let them into the grass paddock as they are churning the gateway up. I'm turning the youngsters out in a little what used to be lami paddock to stretch their legs. Can't wait till they're all back in the same field. Hoping it drys up soon and we get lots of sunshine.x

My bottom paddock turned to complete mud in the section the Fells were in with the 36hrs of non stop heavy rain we had the weekend before last as all the rain runs down the hill and draisn straight into the paddock which is very poorly draining, it's an awful field! I ended up giving in and bringing the Fells in for 24hrs when we had the next lot of torrential rain last week (Chester is at school) and I've moved them up to the paddock that's basically bare but is a bit better draining.

I think we got Mays total rainfall for last year last weekend!!!

Been the wettest on record for a few years apparently!!! It's getting on my nerves as id rather he was out than in!!

I'd rather mine been out, although then my mother always whinges the stables look empty when all the horses/ponies are out so can't win. Just placed a order for more shavings tonight as only have 16 bales left. The rain is a nightmare, I dont mind a bit but l seem to wake up to it daily. x

Bring them here. I have the opposite problem, too much pasture and no horses to turn out on it! Storm can't go out and Chloe can only stay close to her in the small paddock next to the yard. The rest is just going to waste - still, the sheep enjoy it......
Do hope for all of you that the rain stops and doesn't churn it up so much. Very frustrating I should imagine.

We have the opposite problem as well, what rain we are getting is just swelling the cracks out , with a day they are back, but a least we are starting to see a bit of grass growth now - the hay fields have hardly any growth on them , looks like they might get 1 late cut if lucky!

Our field is very dry and growing poorly. Where the good doers are out on their track it is beginning to look a bit bald. They are still doing good but Ziggy hasn't put on an ounce and I am letting him into the centre section on days when he has been worked.

It's annoying me too. Sox is nearly always in some rug and still getting fed alot! But ours is due to grass. But still in a morning it's boiling so I take soxs rug off and pop his fly sheet on him turn sox out and drive to work and it's cloudy and windy and I know the weather is partly to blame as whatever rug I put on the weather does the opposite! !

newrider.com