Summer grazing ... advice pls

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
Caymen and his herd are all moving into the summer field tommorow. Normally, they move when they start living out for the summer at the start of May but the fencing needed fixed so there has been a delay.

The grass in the field is now quite long and lush and the other liveries have put the fear of god into me regarding laminitis.

Caymen has no history of it but I want to take precautions and monitor him fairly closely over the coming weeks.

He is in a herd of 10 but most horses are going to be in during the day to rest so it may take a while for the grass to go down. He is coming in to rest in the morning and will be turned out tommorow night in the new field. I plan to bring him in every day initially.

Does this sound ok and are there any other precautions I could/should take?
Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

I would get a feel over the next few days of his legs - heat and pulses - then you know what is "normlish" for him :)

I would also be bringing in to start with but then Ima protective wally - but I have to be with madam as she gets footy so easily.

I would get a feel over the next few days of his legs - heat and pulses - then you know what is "normlish" for him :)

I would also be bringing in to start with but then Ima protective wally - but I have to be with madam as she gets footy so easily.

Thanks for the advice. I will do. I think thats why I'm concerned as it is his first summer with me and still getting to know him. I'm also worried I wont be able to catch the big lawnmower:biggrin:

I too, am very protective so right with you! I'm hoping he will be ok and I can just bring him in as and when I want to after the first few weeks. He likes to come in for a big snooze... I put him in his stable before riding tonight and he was fast asleep when I went back to get him :banghead:

Is it possible to strip graze the field so they don't have access to it all in one go?

I don't think we would be allowed to. I had an issue with another horse injuring Caymen and suggested electric fencing and was told no. I will ask if it is possible though. Thanks x

I don't think we would be allowed to. I had an issue with another horse injuring Caymen and suggested electric fencing and was told no. I will ask if it is possible though. Thanks x

I don't think that it is an unreasonable thing to ask. If you have got 10 horses, all the owners will be worried about sudden access to the lush grass and the consequences which may go with it - could you ask their opinions in advance and approach the YO together? Strip grazing will ensure that the horses don't get too much in one go, and that the grass lasts longer. Everyone wins!

I don't think that it is an unreasonable thing to ask. If you have got 10 horses, all the owners will be worried about sudden access to the lush grass and the consequences which may go with it - could you ask their opinions in advance and approach the YO together? Strip grazing will ensure that the horses don't get too much in one go, and that the grass lasts longer. Everyone wins!

Yeah, it does make sense. I will ask the other liveries.. I will see most of them in the morning and we can approach YO. Thanks

If it puts your mind at rest about twenty of the horses qhere I am have been put out as you describe and touch wood no problwms but there are risks and so I wouldn't personally.

Colic and runny bum are another thing to look out for too x

I would keep an eye on his pulses etc and start treating him when he comes to you in the field just to enforce good things happen when he is caught. You could opt for a muzzle also.

I would put a muzzle on especially if they can afford to lose some weight. You can always enlarge the hole a bit if it's the Shires type with a plastic base so they're not totally starved.

I would muzzle. My pony is muzzled for the first time since I bought her 4 years ago. I normally strip graze her but decided that she should be in with the other horses so that she is in a natural herd environment rather than all on her own and because she can then get more exercise by moving around a larger paddock.

The muzzle is working wonders. She is living out 24/7 muzzled and so far weight wise she is looking great.

Also if this is the first time out to grass for a while I would do it bit by bit so he can adjust to it. I start mine off at an hour a time which seems to work well.

newrider.com