Summer feeding?

allym

Aug 2, 2009
Surrey
My horse is on grass livery and gets fed a morning feed of chaff and pasture mix through the winter months, as well as hay. Now the spring grass has come through he is off feeds. He is a 10 yr old cob, a good doer and gets fat in the summer, but drops it all through out the winter. I am wondering if I need to give him some sort of vitiman and mineral supplement in the summer months. He has no hard feed in the spring,summer and autumn months, just a field full of grass, at the moment he seems to have energy but I noticed last year he started lacking in energy around August time. Would a supplement or balancer help this? I was looking in to equibites and wondered if this would be suitable for him?

Equibites are excellent. Easy to feed with out extra calories. If the grazing is good you should not need to feed any thing else apart from the equubites

My horse just gets grass and hay all year round. The only additional thing he has is a salt lick in his stable, which he thinks is the best thing ever and likes to take large chunks out of. My horse is a very good doer and I am constantly fighting the flab with him.

If there is pleanty of mixed pasture you probably dont need a supplement but for most here its modified pasture with limited grass species so we do. Ive used equibites and found them very handy, though I have switched to a balancer now instead.

Ziggy gets a handful of chaff with mixed herbs, because our field is old cow pasture and doesn't have much variety of species. We are trialling the new Austrian Agrobs Muesli at present.

I use low cal balancer with mine as I don't think grass alone gives enough variety of minerals and vitamins.

I don't feed anything except her supplement. That's stuck to a teeny 1\2 carrot chopped up.
We have hedges around our land in all the fields for horses to pick at. We dont just have grass.

I use equibites as well, my horses love them and they are designed for good doers and mine tend to be on restricted grazing and soaked hay depending on weight, i get the 10kg sacks

newrider.com