Suggestions for the perfect grooming kit

Tiff45

The quiet rider
May 2, 2015
Hertfordshire
Hi, I'm looking to put together the 'best' grooming kit for my niece as a birthday present. Can you recommend products, brands, absolute must haves please?

thanks!

Tiff

How old is your niece? If she is quite young you are best looking for the brushes that are made specifically for small hands. Normal sized brushes are impossible for younger children to hold / grip properly (with chunkier ones I struggle myself on occasion - at age 30!).

The Pony Tack Shop stock a range of grooming brushes in smaller sizes -
http://www.theponytackshop.co.uk/child_junior/small_hands_grooming_products

If you want to splash out and get her something special and unique these guys do personalised grooming kits!
http://www.toptrottys.co.uk/shop.html

If you want a specific brand recommendation for grooming stuff I'd recommend Roma, their stuff is lovely but not too expensive and they do some really cool colourful / patterned brushes.

Depending on her age I'd add some plaiting bands, my daughters age 11 loves grooming her pony then styling her mane, poor horse:) Although the pony is totally oblivious to it all and happily dozes as she gives her a makeover. She wants to learn to plait with thread but Ive told her she has to be 15 to do that. x

I have Oster . They are easier than rubber curry pads for clumsy hands to grip. But they are American style brushes and the technique for using them is slightly different (I was shown this winter ) from what UK kids may be taught in Pony Club.
I think the traditional grooming is best. I bought a modern brush which combines a sponge and surrounding bristles. I don't use it. I prefer my old fashioned water brush . Similarly I don't use the Oster mane and tail brush which was a best buy. I prefer to start with an old fashioned body brush and only do a final brush through with the Oster as it seems to tear out a lot of tail hair . I have long hair and recent research suggesst horses don't like having their hair pulled.
I haven't bought any grand children their own set. Hoof picks and rubber curries tend to wander as everyone shares. Thus if you buy a pretty set, it shouldnt be too valuable . Depends what everyone else uses. Not all little girls like pink and sparkly.

Never thought of letting her use loom bands, how interesting. Don't know whether to suggest that to her, as at least black bands sort of blend in. She does bunches and plaits and well it looks different!.She did use her own scrunchie in her forelock once:)

Great suggestions and a good point about value as I wouldn't want them to wander off! My niece is 14 and once was into pink and sparkly but I think something a bit smarter might be good for her :)
Will me check out the links and do some googling!

Thank you x

newrider.com