Suggest a pony

Kitty

Sep 12, 1999
Visit site
Can you suggest a native breed with a bit of fire to it. I need a pony willing to jump, do cross country, trek etc. Something with life to it and a bit of speed. But I do need a hardy pony, kind and gentle to children but a bit of spark! Any suggestions?

They sound great!! Do you know how big they are? Colours, etc. Are they medium weight, light or heavy weight. Can you get a light weight pony? Thanks!!

They're all colors, and they are typically a little heavier than say a New Forest Pony, but they do come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. The only color they can't be is pinto or paint.

Icelandic horses are also very expensive! Why not try a British breed like the Connemara pony? They make brilliant all-purpose ponies. Or New Forest? A friend of mine used to run a riding school and nearly all her ponies were New Forests or cross breds. Safe but with a bit of oomph, and capable of doing anything. Or best of all, there's always the Welsh breeds, which range from about 12 to 15 hands, depending on what you want. Mind you, living in Wales, I'm probably biased!

Hello!

I'm with Myramex on this one, why not get a Welsh? they are fab - very nice natured and good with kids, but they also have a fair amount of oomph.

They come in 4 different types or sections, A to D. Section A's are the smallest and are often the little ponies that kids learn to ride on. Section B's are a bit bigger, but very fine, very much a show pony type. Section D, the Welsh cob is a far chunkier beast and is over 14h0. They are often used for driving, but can excel at all disciplines. The section C is a cross between the B and D - like a smaller and slightly finer version of the section D.

I hope that helped. I haven't found many good web sites on Welsh ponies and cobs, but here is one that has come info.
http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/welsh.html
bye!

[This message has been edited by Sarah (edited 14 September 1999).]

Thanks everybody. I must admit I do like welsh ponies too. I had a welsh cob, an excellent pony. I also rode a smaller welsh section A when I was younger, she had plenty of fire to her!! What size would suit me now, I don't think I'd get another cob, ones enough! I'm five foot six, eight and a half stone!!

Given your height and aversion to cobs how about a Connemara or perhaps a Dales or a Fells. A Connemara might suit you better as they tend to be less round.

I agree with Maria - a Connemara or part-bred Connemara might be worth you considering, if you don't want a cobby type like a Sec D. A Connemara should carry your height/weight with no problem. I've got a half-bred Connemara mare myself and she's by far the best horse I've ever owned or loaned.

I'm biased of course - but a good Connemara (pure or part) will do whatever you want. Your weight will be very easily carried by even a small Connemara. One thing I particularly like about them is their length of stride, they ride like big horses, ground-covering and comfortable. They can also jump and do a lovely dressage test. Being natives they are tough, hardy, soundly constructed, sensible and intelligent without being (too!) devious. And my personal preference is for a mare - native pony mares often extend their maternal instincts to their riders, particularly inexperienced ones. (Sounds strange, but many years' observation convinces me of this).

HI
Thanks everyone for your help. A connemara sounds great, as well as the welsh. I do like cobs, but it's just that I have had so many, (and still have!)including fell X Cobs's (Fells are lovely), welsh cobs (even a shire, not a cob, but plenty wide enough!). But I'd like to try something different, as well as my headstrong welsh cob. Cobs are excellent, I'll never be without one, but I just want something with a little sparkle. I'd never be able to replace my welsh cob, but I have been carted over jumps more times than not!. A connemara sound's ideal. I love arabs and other warm/ hot blooded animals but I find it unfair to coop them up in stables in winter. A native breed, a hardy type, would love the outdoor hundreds of acres to roam in, all year around.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I get!

How about a new forest? These ponies are hardy and lighter than most native breeds. They can jump and are friendly and usually bomb proof due to the unbringing. They are also very cheap due to the quantity and you can save them from slaughter at sales. However be careful and buy a broken in pony that has already done some activites. Good luck!

I agree, a New Foest pony can be great. But why are they going so cheaply and many are getting slaughtered? It tempts people to buy young foals as you can get them for as little as £8 or for free! Ge a well trained one for a couple of hundred + or stick to the Connemara. I agree also, Fells are wonderful ponies, especailly Fell x's they can be excellent jumpers.

Thanks JCB, for the Icelandic pony web site, I'm afraid I am hooked too, they sound like wonderful ponies and look very much like large shetlands. What is the largest size they can be? How come they are HORSES? they don't look as if they can be bigger than 14.2hh? Are they rather like the arab horse, whom is called a horse whether or not they are over 14.2hh? They are super anyway, thanks for getting me hooked! How much are they anyway? Thanks Medalia for suggesting them!

[This message has been edited by Kitty (edited 19 September 1999).]

hmm. a little while back, i saw a segment of a TV program on Highland ponies, from some strangely-accented region of Scotland (i kid you not, they quite rudely had *english subtitles* for the heavily-accented breeders they interviewed!). ;)

'course, i can't for the life of me remember many of the details now, but from what i recall, the breed seemed fabulous.

can anyone else refresh my memory on this one?

-cyn

Kitty

The icelandics are wonderful aren't they -I have fallen totally in love with them! I'm afraid I can't answer your question about why they are horses not ponies though as I don't know enough about them. The site link I gave you is one I only discovered recently (through a Your Horse magazine article) but I have to say that Mic and Nick at Oakfield Farm (whose website it is) are very friendly and nice. I sent them an email asking them if there was anywhere I could go to learn more about Icelandics and maybe ride them and they replied giving me their phone number and inviting me down to see them. I haven't phoned yet as I need to work out dates when I could go but I hope to visit soon. I believe Icelandics are expensive to buy though - much more than the other breeds mentioned above but sorry I don't know the details as yet. I've started saving though!!

Regards

JCB

just wanted to add a word in praise of Dales ponies...the first horse I fell in love with was a Dales cross - a hardy type with a roman nose and a heart of gold. He was as safe as houses, tough as anything, and had a really sparkling trot. I also seem to remember that Dales are reknowned for having very good feet - but others will know more.

hello!

Icelandics are always called horse, even though they are pony sized - in the same way that all arabs are called horses and all polo equines are ponies - I think it is all done to confuse people!

bye!

newrider.com